Associate Director, Funding Proposition & Impact Reporting Services
New York City (United States of America)
The External Relations (ER) department was created in early 2020 and is comprised of three complementary functional areas: Private Fundraising, Communications and Advocacy – functions that work together to enhance IRC’s ability to ‘punch above its weight’ in private income, advocacy, and brand awareness. Supporting this endeavor, and an integral part of ER, is the Global Partnerships and Philanthropic Services (GPPS) Unit. GPPS consists of functional specialists across a variety of high-value fundraising functions providing all elements of cultivation, support and stewardship to high value donors, partners, and supporters.
Program Services is anticipated to become GPPS’ largest sub-pillar and works at the intersection of HV fundraising and our operations and programs in the field. This pillar comprises of proposal, proposition and reporting development services, field experience and field trips and program services and field capacity. The Editorial Services Team of GPPS sits within the Program Services sub-pillar, and develops funding and support propositions and impact reports to bolster the work of our HV teams and enhance IRC's global fundraising and partnerships efforts. Team members translate content into compelling donor-friendly language to help secure financial and non-financial support for IRC’s work.
The Associate Director, Funding Proposition & Reporting Services leads editorial support for HV fundraising focused on private foundations and trusts. They will be responsible for managing the portfolio of donor communication cases and streamlining the outputs created by a team of content and writing specialists. This role will be vital in creating a 360-degree approach to donor propositions, impact reports and stewardship management.
This role can be based in any IRC-registered location where the post holder can meet and deliver the support the team needs.
- Provide mentorship and support to a growing team of writers (currently two) under direct supervision.
- Advise and lead on written communications to HV donors and prospects, with a focus on foundations and trusts.
- Establish the new team’s credo and evolve and promote the new service offer across the organization; to include new business, multi-year partnerships and “big bets” among private foundations and trusts.
- Manage a portfolio of donor communication cases; ensure workload is shared evenly across team members; proactively improve the new team’s processes and ways of working; craft a 360-degree approach to donor proposals, impact reports and stewardship.
- Work with IRC’s senior leadership, program staff, and relevant colleagues across External Relations to build compelling cases for philanthropic investment, non-financial and advocacy support and engagement opportunities for foundation and trust donors at the highest levels.
- Develop a library of standardized language, templates, proposals and reporting metrics to work across global audiences.
- Ensure consistency and standardization of services across high value teams.
- Work collaboratively with peers and colleagues across programs globally, to stay up to date on IRC programs, as well as global events and trends impacting the humanitarian sector, the places we work and the lives of our beneficiaries.
- Devise new strategies for packaging work to meet evolving donors’, supporters’ and social investors’ needs and providing the right support to fundraisers to pursue foundation and trust donors.
- Foster and deepen positive relationships with colleagues in program offices, to ensure smooth and transparent communication and information flows.
- Act as a thought partner, working collaboratively with HV fundraisers to develop short- and long-term impact reporting and editorial engagement plans for global partners.
- Extensive professional experience in non-profit fundraising from private sector major donors, corporations, and/or foundations, with a focus on proposition and proposal development and impact reporting for 7 figure + gifts. Experience with large-scale, complex foundation and trust donors is a must;
- Experience managing teams in a similar setting;
- Ability to translate technical information into tailored partnership communications that clear purpose and demonstrate impact for philanthropic investment;
- Ability to conceptualize strategically and creatively and produce strong, clean, compelling donor communications that reflect the partner’s philanthropic goals;
- Expertise in fact checking, editing, complex proposal development and proofreading;
- Previous nonprofit experience; solid knowledge of foundation and trust fundraising contexts; familiarity with the work of an international non-governmental organization required;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to lead and develop a team of writers;
- Proven ability to coordinate across teams/functions and to collaborate adaptively and effectively with professionals across the organization;
·Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to work independently under pressure and handle the details of multiple projects simultaneously without losing sight of broad goals.
Working Environment: Standard office working environment. Remote Working may be required.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Equality, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.