Regional Head of Health, Safety & Security
NRC is looking for a Regional Head of Health, Safety & Security (HSS) to join the Asia, Europe and Latin America (AELA) Regional Office. The Regional Head of HSS will serve as the lead technical resource on health, safety and security risks and crisis management across the AELA region.
This position reports into the Regional Director and is managed with a technical dotted line by the Global HSS Director. This role acts as the technical supervisor for Country HSS Managers or equivalent within the region, and serves as a core member of the Regional Management Group and Crisis Management Team.
Currently, the AELA Region consists of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Colombia, Iran, Northern-Central America, Venezuela, Myanmar and Ukraine. The preferred duty station for this position is Oslo, Norway.
- Promote and stimulate HSS risk management culture.
- Maintain a general overview of the HSS context within the region and brief regional management on key security development and emerging threats within the region.
- Oversee and support regional HSS risk management to staff, assets, operation and reputation of NRC.
- Implement the NRC Global HSS Management System at regional level, provides reports as required and monitors and support the implementation of global HSS initiatives from HO.
- Develop and maintain regional HSS documents and procedures incl. strategy and budget if required and monitors country and regional office compliance with the NRC HSS risk management policy.
- Serves as a member of the regional crisis management team, deploys to support country crisis teams within the region upon request, and contributes to the development of crisis management capacity within the region.
- Support, mentor, train and control the development of HSS staff in country offices and organize and/or train and develop staff in HSS.
- Network, communicate and cooperate with relevant external HSS actors.
- Acts as the technical reference/resource for country HSS manager within the region. Serves as a member of the AELA Regional Management Team.
- Trains and mentors Country HSS Managers or equivalent in the region on security trainings aimed for in particular national staff safety, security and risk management.
- Facilitates dialogue and sharing between the COs on matters related to security.
- Provides technical guidance on specialised issues such as humanitarian access, negotiations and risk management upon request.
- Ensures that Regional Office staff receives security inductions and complete the necessary trainings.
- Ensure and foster active collaboration with HR at both regional and country in implementing duty of care/staff care initiatives
- A full Job Description can be found below
Required competencies, skills and experience
- Minimum 5 years of non-profit or NGO work experience in international humanitarian assistance programs, with demonstrated capabilities in planning, organizing and executing security management operations in high risk and volatile contexts.
- Minimum 7 years in the field of security. Demonstrated experience working in good cooperation with regional and country managers and developing cooperative and effective security risk management teams.
- Advanced knowledge of risk assessment and management best practices and international standards.
- Advanced knowledge of humanitarian security management best practices.
- Demonstrated experience in crisis management.
- Substantial and demonstrated prior experience as a trainer, with an effective and professional training style, and the ability to develop, implement, facilitate and impart learning to senior management and to a wide range of audiences.
- Advanced report writing and good communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of humanitarian principles, codes of conduct, and NGO organizational culture.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of the contexts of Asia, Europe and Latin America.
- Professional qualifications or studies in general management, HSS and/or risk management
- Previous working experience with NRC is preferable
- Prior work experience at the country level
- Experience or qualifications in humanitarian access
- Strong analytical skills and incident management
- Experience or qualifications in negotiations
- Experience in risks management for implementing partners or remote management
- Professional qualifications and studies in security management and general management
- Spanish language proficiency
What we offer
- Duty station: Oslo, Norway (preferred)
- Contract Duration: 24 months
- Travel: approximately 30%
- Salary/benefits: Grade 10 in NRC’s Salary Scale. NRC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package
- Please see the full Job Description here
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply