Area Manager – East Sudan
Employment category: E2 - Manager
Reporting to: Country Director
Direct reports: Program Managers, Heads of support departments
Authorization level: n/a
Overall purpose of the role:
DRC Sudan is looking for an experienced Area Manager to oversee our operations in East Sudan responding to the needs of both Ethiopian refugees and Sudanese host communities. The Gedaref office having been opened in 2020 in response to the Tigray displacement crisis responds via protection, infrastructure, livelihoods and site management support activities to the humanitarian crisis in the area.
The Area Manager, being part of the Sudan senior management team (SMT) advises DRC’s program and support staff to ensure all programming in East Sudan is in line with DRC Sudan’s country strategy and compliant with the organization’s policies. The aim of this role is to translate programme and operational strategy into action at field level. The Area Manager is directly responsible for managing support staff in their base, and for leading program staff to ensure programmes are delivered to high standards, on time and within budget. Based in Gedaref, the Area Manager is also responsible for representing DRC, including in coordination fora with other agencies, and for providing the direct link in communications between DRC's activities in East Sudan with the organization's Khartoum country office. They should enable a productive and accountable relationship with beneficiaries, communities’ leaders/representatives, relevant governmental authorities, NGOs, and UN agencies. Finally, in coordination with the Khartoum based Safety Manager the Area Manager provides safety and security management of the Gedaref based team and ensure all safety and security measures, including contingency plans and standard operating procedures, are in place and well understood by all staff.
The role is based in Gedaref overlooking DRC’s operations in East Sudan.
1. Management and Coordination:
- Overall responsibility for the recruitment and daily management of the Qadarif-based program and support teams, including ensuring positive and collaborative working relationships in line with DRC's Code of Conduct and assessing staff capacity to provide or recommend relevant training or coaching as needed.
- Daily management of the Qadarif office, including ensuring compliant financial operations and budgeting, administration, human resources, logistics, procurement and security in line with DRC and donor regulations.
- Represent DRC publicly at state level, including in coordination fora with other agencies
2. Programming and Technical Support:
- Provide oversight of all programming in East Sudan in compliance with core protection principles and best practices, and DRC and donor regulations, while upholding rigorous project cycle management standards.
- Design and support in conducting needs assessments to inform program design as well as identify risks and vulnerabilities, including those related to gender, age and diversity.
- Contribute to the strategic direction of East Sudan programming through active and ongoing participation in and contribution to strategic planning meetings
- Work with the Head of Programmes and finance team to contribute to new project development, including both narratives and budgets.
Ensure the timely and quality delivery of all organizational and project reports and staff contributions to organizational monitoring and evaluation requirements to ensure project quality, relevance and accountability to DRC's beneficiary populations.
Support staff to integrate protection and migration concerns and awareness into other sectors as relevant.
3. Finance and Administration:
- Provide daily management of the base office’s finance team.
- Oversee and regularly update a comprehensive master budget of DRC’s operations in East Sudan.
- Collaborate regularly with the Khartoum based finance team to monitor spending and ensure the timely utilization of all grants.
- Ensure full compliance with DRC and donor financial guidelines and policies.
4. Human Resources:
- Manage the Qadarif-based team and support respectful and positive working relationships which allow for the effective implementation of all activities.
- Lead state-level recruitment processes and ensure that relevant staffing structures are in place and are reflective of appropriate gender balance.
- Promote professional development by identifying training and capacity building opportunities and ensure staff are well versed in core protection concepts, DRC's code of conduct, accountability, respectful dialogue with the refugee population, and prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Ensure staff evaluations are conducted on a regular basis.
5. Logistics and Procurement:
- Collaborate with the Supply Team to develop and maintain procurement plans.
- Ensure logistics and procurement processes are in place.
- Collaborate with the supply chain team to ensure field-based records are well managed, fulfill DRC and donor requirements, and are up-to-date.
- Monitor budget lines to ensure spending is in line with project timelines.
- Regularly review procurement plans with procurement and logistics, and finance teams to adjust spending as required in advance of project closure.
6. Safety and Security:
- Assume responsibility for staff safety in the area of operation.
- Ensure all relevant information regarding safety, security and the context is collected, updated and shared in a regular and timely manner.
- Collaborate with the Security Coordinator and Senior Management Team to make decisions and manage security incidents at a local level.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Master’s degree in law, social sciences, international development, or other relevant field.
- Minimum of 7 years of work experience within the field of humanitarian response and refugee protection in at least two different international crises contexts, with experience working for an international NGO, UN agency or relevant ministry or local authority.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a senior project management position.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Excellent written and spoken English. Knowledge of Arabic is an added advantage
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
Master's degree in Human Resource Management, Business, or Social Science Degree specializing in Human Resources
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
Proficiency in English
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Country Director
- Program team
- Local authorities