Lodwar & West Pokot, KE
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been working in Kenya since 1992, providing health care, women and girls empowerment, legal rights and economic recovery & development/ livelihood services to hundreds of thousands of refugees and the surrounding host communities in both camp & urban setup.
The IRC’s programs targeting communities in Turkana County are based out of the Lodwar office and primarily address surveillance for polio & other vaccine preventable disease, reproductive health, prevention of and response to GBV through support to MOH facilities, and strengthening livelihood interventions. Within Westpokot, the IRC supports implementation of a Compass Nutrition study that encompasses a simplified protocol for the treatment of acute malnutrition, MIYCN, IMAM & family MUAC.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Field Coordinator shall be responsible for providing guidance and leadership through supervising the implementation of the IRC programs in Lodwar, Turkana County and Kapenguria, Westpokot county with specific focus in ensuring effective functionality of all the support functions of the program. Additionally, the Field Coordinator will support adherence to the Mission Strategic Objectives in the Kenya Program within program development in the two field sites. The Field Coordinator will be responsible for grant management and reporting. The Field Coordinator will be responsible for direct supervision and monitoring of Human Resources, Administration, Logistics, Finance and all Program functions of the program to ensure strict compliance to all IRC procedures/policies. The Field Coordinator will oversee day to day management of Staff Safety and security during all phases of field operations. The Field Coordinator will be responsible for assessing program support and program support staff quality, effectiveness and providing guidance and support to staff. The Field Coordinator will from time to time represent the IRC Turkana & Westpokot program in various coordination forums he or she will spend 50% in West Pokot and 50% in Lodwar. The Field Coordinator reports to the Deputy Director Operations and will be responsible for the following.
- Provides assistance to the Program Managers in Lodwar and Westpokot and the Senior Management Team based in Nairobi as required or as requested.The Program Managers report functionally to their respective Technical Coordinators and administratively to the Field Coordinator.
Provide support and leadership in grant management, budget monitoring, new program development, monitoring and evaluation including strategic planning.More specifically.
- Ensure quality and timely implementation of grants by staff with specific focus to the program support sections of each respective grant.
- Support field teams in the Review of Monthly Budget vs. Actual reports with program staff, make recommendations on the basis of these and ensure that appropriate action is taken in a timely fashion.
- Identify new program possibilities in collaboration with field- and Nairobi-based program staff, specifically the Deputy Director Programs and the Technical Coordinators.
- Based on identified needs, make recommendations to Nairobi for development of new policy guides.
- Ensure appropriate M&E activities are carried out regularly by program staff in all sectors (data collection & analysis, monitoring of project progress against established work plans, monitoring of established indicators and utilization of results to inform program (re-)design).
- Support the integration of program activities to create coherent, quality and complimentary programming; Specific focus to ensure strong integration of program support functions with direct program related activities
- Ensures policies and procedures are in compliance with applicable IRC, funding source and government policies, procedures and requirements.
- Ensures Lodwar Program staff act in accordance with the IRC policies.
- Promptly informs the Deputy Director of Operations (DDO) on any areas of concern or potential or suspected violations.
- Field Coordinator effectively communicates all relevant compliance issues during program design / development and Grant Opening & Closing Meetings, or as encountered.
- With support from the Security Manager, monitor the security situation and development in IRC operational areas with implications for staff safety and for program implementation.
- Maintain Health and Safety standards by carrying out regular inspection of the office updating warning notices and up-dating first aid kits with the support of the Security Manager
- Directly manages, supervises and mentors the Finance and Supply Chain staff of the Lodwar and Westpokot Program.
- Ensure that all performance evaluations for all staff are conducted on time, and review all evaluations to ensure quality and consistency.
- Support in identifying training needs for Lodwar Program staff and make appropriate recommendations to the DDP, DDO and the CD.
- Ensure that administrative matters of the field office are carried out in accordance with IRC HR and administration policies.
- Ensure that all IRC staff at the Field level comply with the IRC Code of Conduct/IRC WAY and other relevant policies pertaining to staff conduct.
- In collaboration with NBI HQ, oversee the carrying out of supply chain operations by Lodwar SC staff, including procurement (both local and through Nairobi HQ Office), stock management, asset management, vehicle operations, equipment maintenance and repair (including communications and computer equipment).
- Coordinates all transport and travel arrangements for the Lodwar Program in collaboration with NBI HQ Supply Chain team.
- Ensure compliance with IRC and donor Supply Chain policies at all times.
- Support and ensure accurate staff movement planning at all times
- Oversee the financial management of field office operations by the finance staff, including cash management, issuing and tracking advances, ensuring complete and correct use of all finance forms; timely notice to Nairobi of cash transfer/petty cash needs.
- Ensure compliance with IRC and donor finance policies at all times.
Representation / Communications
- Represent IRC in external engagements with GoK, UN-Agencies, IRC Partners, other NGOs and key stakeholders.
- Coordinate IRC program activities with relevant officials and other humanitarian agencies.
- Assist in the preparation of regular reports to keep partners and stakeholders informed of IRC’s activities.
- Performs other administrative or office duties or projects as required or as assigned.