Volunteer, Global Markets Team
United States (United States of America)
Volunteer, Global Markets Team
- United States
- Volunteer, Local
- Program (Division)
- Global Markets Team - Global Markets Team
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
There is an urgent need to ensure that the ~370 million people living with diabetes in low- and middle-income countries have better access to adequate diagnosis, treatment, and monitoring for their condition. This urgency is driven by the extremely low life expectancy of under 1 year olds for people living with type 1 diabetes (T1D) in LMICs and the escalating levels of diabetes-related health expenditure, both for individuals paying out-of-pocket and for governments paying for complications due to late or inadequate treatment of T1D or severe type 2 diabetes (T2D).
CHAI is responding to this need by establishing a new diabetes program, situated in CHAI’s growing non-communicable disease (NCD) program. The program aims to improve access to affordable, high-quality diagnosis (HbA1c), treatment (insulin, oral therapeutics, and delivery devices) and monitoring (glucose self-monitoring devices and test strips) for people living with T1D and T2D who require insulin in several low-and middle-income countries in sub-Saharan Africa. The initial phase of program implementation involves demand and supply landscape assessments in the select countries. These assessments will inform development of robust insulin-requiring patient archetypes and the baseline of pricing and availability of key diabetes commodities in public and private sectors based on patient needs. These insights will inform the opportunity, strategy, and priorities for global and in-country efforts to rationalize/quantify product needs, reduce prices at the manufacturer level and improve procurement/supply chain practices.
CHAI’s Global Markets Team seeks a fully remote Volunteer for 8-16 weeks on a part time basis to support discrete research exercises and quantitative analyses. The Volunteer will report to the Senior Manager, Global Markets Team, and work to support the growing NCD program. The position offers the candidate opportunities to develop and apply skills in quantitative and qualitative data collection, data analysis, costing, data presentation, and project management. In accordance with CHAI policy, the Volunteer position shall be unpaid and last no longer than four months. The Volunteer should expect to work 8-12 hours per week, with flexible scheduling and availability for calls/meetings.
- Develop insulin optimization analysis, including:
- Developing a high level target product profile (TPP) for long-acting analogue insulin in LMICs, focused on (1) clinical evidence, (2) delivery method and (3) patient type
- Developing standalone analysis optimizing product usage per patient type including monthly consumption estimates, projected wastage, etc.
- Other responsibilities as needed by supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Experience with data collection
- Experience with data management and analysis in Excel
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Ability to work independently and effectively in unstructured environments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously; highly organized
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Ability to work with teams across time zones and locations
- Ability to work with humility and achieve results
- Familiarity with diabetes clinical management
- Advanced analysis skills