Finance Assistant - Abuja (INTERNAL ONLY)
Background/IRC Summary: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (www.rescue.org) is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict development services for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently working in over 40 countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflict societies.
The IRC Nigeria country program is implementing multi-sectorial interventions in the sectors of: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Women’s Protection and Empowerment; Food Security and Livelihoods and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in partnership with strategic local NGOs. Currently, the IRC is expanding programs in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe state to address the needs of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and host communities in recently liberated LGAs.
Job Overview/Summary: The Finance Assistant will be a key member of the Abuja finance team and will contribute towards the achievement of the field’s finance objectives. Under the direction of the Finance Manager, the Finance Assistant will maintain the cash books, remit all statutory and maintain their folders, make all petty cash payments.
- Maintain a real time cashbook
- Ensure bank reconciliations are carried out weekly.
- Petty cash count should be done daily.
- Assist to respond to pension complaints from staff.
- Prepare and Remit statutory deductions as at when due.
- Ensure all advances are liquidated.
- Maintain both hard and soft folders for VAT report, PAYE report, NSITF report and WHT Report.
- Ensure that all cash and bank payments documents are properly filed and stalled in the archive timely and accurately.
- Ensuring that cash and bank payment documents are distributed to authorizer timely and in line with operating authorization matrix.
- Ensure accurate and timely retrieval of documents for audits as the audits come up.
- Ensure that all documents used for audit are accurately returned to appropriate boxes and stalled a soon as the audit is over.
- Maintaining the receipt book and ensuring that authorized receipts are issued upon receipt of monies.
- Submit VAT report to FIRS monthly.
- Collect NSITF receipt from the bank monthly
- Archiving of prior years’ finance documents.
- Diligent follow-up to ensure fully signed mandates are processed to vendor.
- Verify documents are complete before you distribute.
- Any other duty as assigned by the supervisor
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to:Finance Manager
Position directly supervises:No
Indirect Reporting: Report to the Finance Cordinator/Assistant Finance Controller any irregularities that occur within the IRC office, staff compound and sites on policy and procedures.
Internal: Reports to the Finance Manager
Regular and open communication with IRC staff from all departments and field offices.
Represents the Abuja field office for cash withdrawal with external banks.
Represents the country office with external TAX and other statutory authorities.