Founded in 1933, International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’s leading agencies working in post-conflict and development contexts, supporting communities in over 40 fragile, failed and developing states. In this capacity, we work to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted, struggling to endure and wishing to advance on a path of development.
IRC has been present in Bangladesh since 2017 and obtained registration with the NGOAB in March 2018. Since IRC obtained registration in March 2018, it has moved quickly to expand its integrated emergency health and protection response through both direct and partner-based programming focused on primary healthcare, women’s protection and empowerment, sexual and reproductive health, gender-based violence and child protection. Through 2018, the IRC’s response strategy will primarily target Rohingya refugees in Cox’s Bazar, while meeting the significant needs in both refugee and host populations, as already existing vulnerabilities are compounded with cyclical monsoon and cyclone seasons that impose additional threats to the lives and protection of those refugees as well as vulnerable host populations. IRC is growing its programming to cover education and livelihoods/DRR, as well as its geographic footprint in the host community and to other parts of the country.
The GEDI Coordinator will support the country program efforts to ensure equality, diversity and inclusion in both programs and operations, with a strong focus on gender equality, based on an intersectional feminist approach and critical perspectives on postcolonial power dynamics.
The role will include but not be limited to the following:
- Support the implementation of the GEDI Action Plan and other organizational priorities set by the IRC to fulfil its ambition to become an inclusive feminist organization, in accordance with regional, global, and country frameworks
- Support organizational transformation to align with GEDI values and principles by, inter alia, facilitating collective learning processes, fostering feminist management and leadership practices, and strengthening the inclusion and the voices of the under-represented and structurally disadvantaged groups of staff
- Build the capacity of staff and, when relevant, of partners to undertake contextualized intersectional analysis, to design and implement transformative programs, and to ensure our human resource strategies are gender-sensitive, inclusive, and equitable
- Facilitate the enforcement of harassment-free/ anti-sexual harassment, safeguarding, respect at work and other relevant policies
- Contribute to decision-making, development & implementation of strategies & policies at country program level as an active member of the Country Management Team (CMT)
The position will advocate for and represent the IRC in his/her area of expertise and at relevant coordination fora. The postholder will be part of CMT and will have opportunity to influence and contribute in decision making that affects the country program direction.
Key Working Relationships:
·Directly reports to and receives supervision from: Country Director
·Receives technical guidance and support from: Regional GEDI Director
·Receives technical support for safeguarding related matters from: Regional Safeguarding Advisor
·Closely collaborates with:
oOperations: Deputy Director Operations (DDO), Senior HR Coordinator, Senior Coordinator - Safety, Security & Access (SSA)
oPrograms: Deputy Director Programs (DDP), Senior Grants, Accountability & Partnership Coordinator, Technical Coordinators, Project Coordinators/ Program Managers
·Regularly supports and collaborates with:
oWork at Work ([email protected]/ WOW) network leads
oSafeguarding focal points
In addition, the role will collaborate with diverse external actors, as needs and opportunities arise. These may include other national and international humanitarian organizations, women-led organizations, government authorities, multilateral and bilateral organizations, local partners, and donors.
EDI in operations:
- Lead the rolling out of the GEDI Action Plan in accordance with the global and regional frameworks and agreed country-level priorities
- Collaborate with the HR and other relevant departments and program teams on ensuring greater gender balance, inclusion, and representatives on the staff, including by conducting gender/GEDI analyses of HR data and policies, ensuring recruitment and career support processes are aligned with GEDI values and principles, and delivering anti-bias training to HR staff and hiring managers
- Support the capacity-building, empowerment and active functioning of the WOW network and their focal points, GE/GEDI Champions and other relevant roles, e.g., Safeguarding focal point, IRC Way Day ambassadors on GEDI related matters
- Collaborate with HR and other relevant colleagues on the socialization and implementation of anti-harassment/ anti-sexual harassment, respect at work, and safeguarding policies (against sexual abuse and exploitation of adult and child clients, against harassment and bullying among staff, against sexual harassment of staff)
- Collaborate with the Senior Coordinator - SSA to conduct gender-sensitive and inclusive Security Risk Assessment (SRAs) and develop effective Security Management Plans (SMPs)
- Foster organizational culture transformation by rolling out the “Chalo Shobai!” curriculum, conducting awareness-raising and training for staff, and building the capacity-building of managers and leaders to foster an inclusive and gender-sensitive culture and lead by example
GEDI in Programs:
- Collaborate with DDP, Technical Coordinators and relevant program teams to conduct intersectional gender analyses and build the capacity of program staff to conduct intersectional analyses
- Provide technical assistance for the development and implementation of GEDI-aligned transformative programs, informed by the findings of the intersectional analyses
- Support quality control, monitoring and evaluation of programs with a GEDI lens, including, if necessary, a gender/GEDI review of programs, development of a GEDI-integration plan, spot checks and field visits to program locations
- Incorporate gender considerations into the Performance Monitoring Plan, with an emphasis on designing indicators that will drive high-value program activities
- Collaborate with program teams to ensure gender equality, diversity and inclusion considerations and goals are incorporated into proposals and data related to gender equality indicators are collected
Advocacy, Communication and Networking:
- Participate in and represent the IRC at relevant coordination structures and fora
- Be the PSEA focal person of IRC for both internal and external purpose
- Contribute to the IRC’s policy advocacy at all levels (Cox Bazar, national and international)
- Organize, facilitate, or participate in GEDI-related events
·Produce and disseminate GEDI-related materials, including information about the country programs efforts and good practices