Consultant Programme Officer
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency in the fight against global hunger and the world's largest humanitarian organization.
Turkey hosts the largest refugee population in the world while Germany is the country within the EU that hosts the largest number of asylum seekers. Turkey together with partners successfully provided for the refugees’ basic needs almost for a decade, but now faces challenges in the integration of the refugees into labor market. WFP Turkey focuses on integrating vulnerable Turks and refugees into the labor market by improving their employability through a programme called SES. SES is modeled after the widely renowned German dual system as it combines theoretical, classroom training with on-the-job learning during an internship with an employer. The main partners of TRCO are Ministry of National Education and the Employment agency from the government side as well as NGOs, chambers and private sector companies are the implementing and cooperating partners. In Turkey, WFP is supporting the Government with livelihood assistance to vulnerable refugees and host communities.
This post will report directly to the WFP Turkey Country Director, while the Director of the Global Office Germany in Berlin will provide guidance and needs to be consulted and involved for contacting and meetings with relevant stakeholders in Germany . The incumbent will be expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to various queries with only general guidance. The consultant is required to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen operational problems on a daily basis within the context of the foreseen study tour.
WFP Turkey also focuses on knowledge exchange – i.e. taking relevant experiences from Turkey to other countries and vice versa. This short term consultancy falls within the strengthening of cooperation and knowledge exchange between Germany and Turkey facilitated by WFP. A study visit for Turkish officials to Germany will be organized to:
• Raise the profile of WFP in the livelihood space with Turkish and German counterparts, become a household name in this space
• Strengthen the capacity of SES program partners in terms of learnings from Germany’s dual system targeting refugee population.
• Identify potential private sector companies in Germany who could hire some of our participants (mostly from the IT track, remote work)
• Learn from the German private sector companies that has specific policies and implementations for refugee integration and social cohesion.
• Introduce the SES Programme and role of partners to German counterparts to develop the cooperation between both sides.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Consultant shall provide effective research, specialized support to successfully organize and conduct the study tour from Turkey to Germany. The consultant will only be responsible for the arrangements in Germany and the consultant will also be responsible for:
- Conducting research to determine the main actors playing a role in policies, programmes and projects dealing with refugee integration into the labor market in Germany. Identify the most suitable actors with whom to meet during the study visit.
- Together with the event management company, managing all logistic and protocol arrangements of the study visit including; meeting venues, transportation, meals and accommodation in the host country, visa issues and transfers;
- Holding preparation meetings with the participants, key experts and the facilitation; preparation of the information packages and ensuring the visibility of the information package;
- Dealing with the study visit budgets and payments and all correspondence related with the Study Visit in Germany;
- Identify German private sector best practices on integrating refugees/migrants.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Desk review of the actors that are playing role in policies, programmes and projects dealing with refugee integration into the labor market in Germany.
- Concept note for the study visit
- Report on the preparation meetings
- Schedule of the study visit to Germany
- Briefs on the policies and programmes of the targeted institutions
- Final report on the study visit
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has experience and knowledge on refugees and their integration into the labor market
- Has a good network of state and civil society institutions dealing with refugees and asylum seekers in Germany
- Has strong analytical, operational and interpersonal skills.
- Good report writing skills.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience: A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience (e.g., humanitarian-development projects, livelihood activities, etc.) is required.
- Education: Bachelor´s Degree in International Affairs, Economics, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance.
- Language: Fluency in written and spoken English and German (mother tongue or CEFR level C2).
- Residency Status: Candidates are required to have residence in Germany
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Contract Duration: 3-4 months
The post will be located in Germany offices with a home-based working arrangement. At the start of the assignment a one week visit to Turkey is planned for the onboarding.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
No later than 31 January 2022, expected Entry on Duty March 2022.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.