EU4MD/ International Consultant to provide assistance in the implementation of the SMART Component, including SMART City Concept and Roadmaps for Ungheni and Cahul Municipalities
The EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme (hereinafter the Programme)) is based on the European Commission Implementing Decision on the Annual Action Programme 2018 in favour of the Republic of Moldova and is funded by the European Union and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme.
The overall objective of the five-year Programme is to strengthen the economic, territorial and social cohesion in the Republic of Moldova through smart, green, inclusive, sustainable and integrated local socio-economic growth as well as by improving the standards of living of the citizens in the focal regions of Cahul and Ungheni.
To this end, this Programme will address also the urban-rural divide as well as regional disparities, stimulate economic growth and job creation, refurbish and upgrade some social and technical infrastructure in selected areas (smaller towns and villages) while taking into account climate change and a gender perspective in the activities of the Programme.
- To strengthen transparency, accountability of local public authorities and citizen participation in local governance processes in the focal regions.
- To improve citizens' access to quality public services and utilities in the focal regions.
- To create employment opportunities for men and women in the pilot focal regions and improve the attractiveness of the pilot regions for investors and entrepreneurs.
- To promote the smart specialization of the economy of the focal regions through the development of the clustering and value chain approach in key economic sectors.
The Programme objectives will be achieved through measures targeted at: (i) capacity building to support the implementation and monitoring of local economic development plans; (ii) civil society engagement in local planning, governance processes and basic social service delivery; (iii) provision of investment funding in support of the creation and/or development of social and technical infrastructure which, combined with the outcomes from interventions (i) and (ii) above, will have an immediate, visible and tangible impact on employment creation, the standard of living of the population in the focal regions.
Duties and Responsibilities
The overall objective of the International Consultant assignment (hereinafter Consultant) is to provide hands-on support for the Programme EU4Moldova: focal regions in the implementation of the SMART Component, including the SMART City Concept and two Roadmaps for Ungheni and Cahul Municipalities and offer feedback to the SMART projects related technical documentation.
- Experience and management skills in drafting concepts, action plans, roadmaps, strategies, studies, reports, needs assessment, development plans with strong result-based language in the priority spheres of the assignment;
- Knowledge of and ability to transfer international expertise in the priority spheres of the assignment;
- Knowledge and skills of MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint;
- Excellent language proficiency in both written and oral English;
- Knowledge of Romanian or Russian language will be an asset.
Personal Qualities and other requirements:
- Demonstrated capacity of team-orientation work, excellent planning and organizational skills;
- Good interpersonal skills, solid judgment/decision making, initiative and creativity;
- Ability to analyze, plan, communicate effectively organize and meet expected results;
- Ability to achieve results and deadlines in a timely manner, maintaining a high standard throughout;
- Demonstrated cultural sensitiveness and sound judgment;
- Proven commitment to the core values of the United Nations, in particular, respecting differences of culture, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, language, age, HIV status, disability, and sexual orientation, or other status.
The United Nations Development Programme in Moldova is committed to workforce diversity. Women and men, persons with different types of disabilities, LGBT, Roma and other ethnic, linguistic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in Architecture, Urban/city planning, Economics, Business Administration, Public Administration, IT/Computer Science, e-Governance, sustainable development or other relevant fields.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in the field of urban and sustainable development, public administration and local development;
- At least 5 years of international experience in the field of development and implementation of SMART City technologies or projects, use of innovation or e-governance transformation in service delivery;
- Recent experience in the elaboration and implementation of at least two urban design projects, urban development plans or strategic plans of the city centers in a participatory manner;
- Experience in the SMART City conceptualization and execution of at least two economic development projects in the field of SMART City;
- Experience in development of at least two action plans, roadmaps or/and strategies for SMART Cities with multidisciplinary groups;
- Recent experience (in the past 2 years) n managing at least one project related to public services improvements, including initiatives designed and implemented at the local public authorities’ level (i.e. SMART Public Transportation, Waste Management, Citizen Engagement Initiatives etc.);
- Experience in the European/East-European countries in the area of assignment will be a strong advantage;
- Experience of work with international organizations/projects, including UN and/or European ones will be an advantage;
- Knowledge of the development context of Moldova will be an asset.