Environmental Health Officer – Influx project (National Position)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities. The IRC has been operating in Thailand since 1975 and currently provides assistance to displaced persons in Tak, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi and Mae Hong Son provinces.
The IRC is preparing to support the Royal Thai Government to provide humanitarian assistance should a large-scale influx of displaced persons arrive in Thailand seeking protection due to the turbulent situation in Myanmar following the 01 February 2021 military takeover.
Under supervision of Emergency Health Coordinator, the Environmental Health officer provides timely emergency effective EH response to address essential environmental health and sanitation needs of influx population affected from volatile political crisis in Myanmar. Under close supervision and support of EHC, the Emergency Environmental Health officer will undertake rapid WASH (Water, sanitation and Hygiene promotion) need assessments and implementing emergency WASH response. The Environmental health Officer will be based in Mae Hong Son province. He or she will responsible to supervise all environmental health staffs of the IRC Emergency Response Team with close technical coordination and support of Senior Health Coordinator, Emergency Health Coordinator.
- Undertake detail, precise and brief need assessment report.
- Identify potential safe water supply schemes, low risk of disease transmission of sanitation facility area (toilet, washing area and waste management) to rehabilitate and maintain.
- Conduct rapid and detailed project assessment
- Assist to prepare detail Environmental Health implementation work plan for emerging emergency responses and follow the progress
- Identify, establish, and follow-up water treatment sites, toilet, washing area and solid waste management system.
- Regular record and report to supervisor.
- Prepare clear and detailed specifications for items to be procured and ensure their procurements are as per set specifications and ensure best quality and quantity constructed and maintain of WASH facilities and prepare payment for contractors as well as worker or volunteer
- Supervising and monitor worker or volunteer and ensure the accurate implementation of the same as per standards.
- Promotion of safe hygiene practices in Emergency responses which include Health Promotion activities.
- Takes additional works related with Emergency respond as assigned by supervisor.
Position Reports to: Emergency
Position directly supervises: Emergency Influx environmental Health Team
Indirect Reporting: Senior EH officer and Sr. Clinical Manager
Other Internal Contacts: Deputy Director of Program, Health Coordinator- Refugee Program, Sr. Environmental Health Officer, Senior Awards Management Coordinator, Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator, Regional Emergency Coordinator
Other External Contacts: Health representatives from implementing agencies and other actors, Health Sector Coordinator