Laboratory Assistant (National Position)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities. The IRC has been operating in Thailand since 1975 and currently provides assistance to displaced persons in Tak, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi and Mae Hong Son provinces.
Under the direct supervision of Laboratory Training Manager, the Laboratory Assistant will be responsible for day-to-day support of laboratories activities in refugee camps. He/she will support the Laboratory Training Manager in carrying out laboratory activities by monitoring visits, providing regular feedback and trainings to camp-based laboratory stipend workers. He/she will assist in conducting and monitoring in laboratory quality assurance, procurement, inventory management, and maintenance of laboratory supplies and equipment. This position is based in the IRC Office in Umphang, Tak province, Thailand.
1. Technical Support
- Provide regular visits to Tak camps laboratories and provide ongoing monitoring and technical oversight for laboratory services in the camps.
- Assist to Laboratory Training Manager to provide technical oversight in reviewing monthly consumption patterns, approving monthly requisition, and facilitate the procurement of laboratory supplies and equipment and inventory management.
- Conducting the trainings related COVID19 for all health care workers according to urgent needs to overcome challenges, obstacles related with COVID19 pandemic and, associate with the Surveillance rapid & response teams for the outbreak situations and with others during the COVID19 pandemic.
- Ensure proper adherence to safety regulations while undertaking laboratory tasks
- Ensure proper laboratory waste management
- Identify issues and problems in the Laboratory activities and assist in finding solutions
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor or program needs.
2. Assist in Improving the laboratory technician knowledge and skill
- Assist training needs of laboratory program staff, develop training plan, and provide new, refresher, and initial trainings on a regular basis.
- Assist to Laboratory Training Manager to develop laboratory manual for all laboratory tests available in camps, as a reference and to ensure up-to-date protocols of the new tests.
- Assist in conducting biannual assessment of knowledge and practice of laboratory technicians
3. Ensure proper use and maintenance of lab equipment and supplies at camp level
- Check stock cards and inventory, and storage in the camps monthly
- Ensure maintenance and good condition of laboratory materials and equipment and coordinate their replacement/repair if needed
- Validate and supervise the delivery of laboratory items in collaboration with camp base lab supervisors in the camps.
Position Reports to: Laboratory Training Manager
Position directly supervises: None.
Indirect Reporting: Camp Base Assistant
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: IRC Health team, IRC Operation Team and Camp Base Staff