Intern - Private Sector Development in Crisis Contexts
UNDP’s new Strategic Plan 2022-2025 describes how UNDP intends to work together with our partners to deliver what’s required of us in these extraordinary times. This bold, ambitious Plan is structured around “3x6x3” – 3 directions of change, 6 signature solutions and 3 enablers – a clear framework for where we need to head. Over the next four years, we will work with countries to expand people’s choices for a fairer, sustainable future, helping to get us back on track to deliver on the SDGs.
In this context, UNDP invests in the Global Policy Network (GPN), a network of field-based and global technical expertise across a wide range of knowledge domains and in support of the signature solutions and organizational capabilities envisioned in the Strategic Plan.
Within the GPN, UNDP’s Crisis Bureau galvanizes the organization’s efforts to support programme countries to build resilience by strengthening capacities to prevent, anticipate, respond to, and recover from the impacts of crises and shocks on progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). These efforts are geared towards reducing countries’ reliance on external humanitarian relief and peace interventions; and risk-informing development planning and decision-making so that development investments minimize the creation of new risks.
Based in the UNDP Crisis Bureau in New York, the incumbent will support UNDPs efforts in supporting countries and country offices to pursue integrated recovery solutions in crisis and post crisis situations. This position will be focused on advancing UNDP’s efforts on private sector development in crisis-affected context. The intern will work closely with other teams across the GPN, Regional Hubs and Country Offices. The position will also support the team’s broader efforts on integrated recovery solutions, beyond private sector development in crisis-affected contexts.
Tasks will include supporting collaborative process of policy development, applied research and programmes on livelihoods systems development and economic revitalization (with focus on private sector development) in fragile and conflict situations, and disaster/post disaster settings. The incumbent will also support UNDP’s work on promoting decent work for refugees, migrants and vulnerable host community members, to deliver on commitments made at the Global Refugee Forum.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities
% of time
Support policy research and development on integrated recovery solutions and guidance to Country Offices
Support the UNDPs corporate position on integrated recovery solutions in inter-agency fora and global processes
Knowledge management and communications
Competencies and attitude:
- Interest and motivation in working in an international organization;
- Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation;
- Outgoing and initiative-taking person with a goal-oriented mind-set;
- Communicates effectively when working in teams and independently;
- Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
Required Skills and Experience
Candidates must meet one of the following educational requirements:
- currently in the final year of a Bachelor’s degree; or
- currently enrolled in a Master’s degree; or
- have graduated no longer than 1 year ago from a master’s degree or equivalent studies.
Field of study:
- For private sector development in crisis focused internship: Development Economics, International Business, International Trade, Business Administration or equivalent.
- Knowledge and a proficient user of Microsoft Office productivity tools;
- Experience using Zoom, MailChimp, WebEx and other communications tools preferred.
- English required;
- Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage.