Head of Programme
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Head of Programme for our operations in Lebanon.
The Head of Programme is responsible for the overall programmatic strategy across the entire country operation and for ensuring timely and adequate technical inputs, contributing to the quality assurance of program implementation across the project development and implementation cycle. The position ensures that DRC’s projects bring a significant contribution to meeting immediate humanitarian needs & ensuring programmatic strategies are in place to ensure durable solutions of displacement affected individuals.
The Head of Programme is therefore a key senior position in the DRC country set up, responsible for cross-cutting programmatic information management, sound design of and overseeing assessments, monitoring and evaluation, and ensuring that information collected is reflected upon, used to improve ongoing projects, and is incorporated into consistently high-quality grant proposals and reports. S/he plays as key role in strategy development and adherence and ensuring that policies, systems, and people are continuously and accurately working in a coordinated manner in order to ensure that a coherent and comprehensive program is designed and implemented. The Head of Programme is also responsible for fundraising activities and external representation and will act as the primary focal point for DRCs programming portfolio in Lebanon.
About the job
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Project management and development
- Constant in-depth analysis of humanitarian context, trends, gaps, challenges, and opportunities
- Lead the country level strategic planning and the annual review process, and contribute to the sustainable management of program with a continual eye to new program development that addresses displacements and meets the needs of beneficiaries
- As a key pillar of the overall country strategy, develop/define the country programming strategy designing process in a collaborative way to ensure program appropriateness and accountability among the country program team. Write/Review and monitor the Program Strategy document based upon clear needs/evidence driven approach, DRC’s core expertise and a large stakeholder analysis
- Foster synergies between program areas and sectors and promotes an integrated approach
- Drive new initiatives to expand/improve programmatic actions
- Support the strong integration of protection throughout all humanitarian initiatives and ensure adherence to Sphere & CHS standards or any other international standards when relevant
- Lead the integration of gender, protection and conflict sensitivity mainstreaming and safeguarding across all programs as best suits the Lebanon context.
- Design, contribute and/or lead assessments for emergency or longer-term programming in existing or new project location; with written report and recommendation to initiate and setup relevant emergency projects if a response is decided on
- Keep abreast and engage with the Durable Solutions Task Force and Working Group and ensure DRC is well represented in these fora.
- Provide regular internal and external reports, and other relevant information on programme activities, policy matters and external relations
- Frequent travel for direct support to field sites, representation, and identification of opportunities for organizational growth in the competence areas
Program Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
- Ensure the implementation of effective and participatory program Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning strategies at all levels of the DRC’s program in country
- Provide oversight, guidance, and leadership to all aspects of program development and implementation in Lebanon, including ensuring timely reporting, compliance and quality utilizing routine monitoring and feedback into program implementation
- Ensure that all projects contribute to measuring impact and are in line with DRC’s country strategic plan
- With support of the PDQ Manager, ensure quality programming by coordinating the technical support provided by the Regional Office and HQ, by developing M&E tools and indicators and other quality improvement initiatives
- Adopt an evidence-based approach that see the dissemination of lessons learned and best practices within DRC country and Region teams, to donors and to other stakeholders when relevant in order ensure synergetic programming and cross-program collaboration in Lebanon and in the whole region
- Supervise monitoring and evaluation of the operations to ensure the overall implementation is in accordance with agreed work plans, donor agreements and humanitarian accountability framework
- Ensure that relevant beneficiary data is collected, compiled, analyzed and distributed and that relevant assessments are conducted in the project area
- Ensure Information Management is embedded with DRC program and data are managed in a confidential manner
Fundraising & Grants Management
- Lead the planning and development of concept papers, budgets and project proposals (including any modifications) with support from country team
- Enabling and overseeing effective, efficient and timely implementation of all projects according to agreed contracts, budgets, policies and in accordance with specific donor requirements
- Ensure systems and tools for efficient project cycle and grants management; and ensure a coordinated approach to risk-management in cooperation with relevant departments; ensuring dynamics is implemented in a timely manner and that grants are tracked and coordination with the RO and HQ;
- Act as the focal point for consortium funded projects
- Ensure effective and transparent budget follow up, planning and use of financial resources in compliance with DRC and donor policies and priorities
- Develop a close and productive working relationship with Area Offices to ensure that all aspects of programs are implemented to maximum affect and compliant with DRC and donor regulations.
- Ensure up to date donor mapping and pursue funding opportunities in all DRC competence areas, and coordinate the capacities of the program managers and SMT to identify and materialize opportunities
- Review final reports and authorize on proposals to be submitted to external donors and HQ
- Effectively stay abreast of donor policies, procedures, rules, and regulations
- Review and oversee implementation of the partnership strategy including management tools, guidelines, and other resources as needed to effectively management partnerships;
- Promote localization agenda within DRC Lebanon; and ensure this is well reflected in all technical strategies and within the country strategy
- Lead the technical coordination unit to Identify local NGOs/partners and develop partnership with relevant and complementary partners.
- Improve partnership practices by periodically assessing DRC Lebanon’s partnership management approach taking into account both DRC and partners’ perspectives, capture lessons learned and best practices, and make recommendations for improvement
People Management and Capacity Building
- Direct line management of the Sector Coordinators/Managers and Specialists with an emphasis on excellence, promoting a culture of cooperation, learning, creativity, and innovation.
- Ongoing development of team composition and structure to ensure that is fit for purpose, develop Job descriptions/Terms of Reference, follow up program staff related recruitment processes and orientation of staff. Proactively seek to increase the numbers of national staff members in the Programs team.
- When needed, draft and/or review scopes of work to hire and manage technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget
- Development of overall staff competence through leadership, training and coaching of technical and management key program staff
- Work with the Technical coordination team and area offices ensure technical capacity building for team members and partners are in place to develop stronger expertise in-country
- Ensure staff are well-supported, and manageable workloads – proactively flagging up issues of well-being to HOSS/SMT
- Conduct annual staff performance reviews, ensuring regular feedback is provided as per DRCs performance management cycle
- Establish strong and efficient partnerships with organizations, donors and authorities, in line with the country programme strategy, advocacy strategy and DRC partnership management policy;
- Increase/cultivate the visibility and credibility of DRC’s program in the area and maintain close relations with all relevant stakeholders including donors
- Aligned with the Advocacy Strategy and in coordination with the Advocacy Coordinator and CD, advocate about DRC’s program in Lebanon with government, donors, and humanitarian stakeholders, in cluster meetings, workshops, conferences and in other relevant fora
- When requested, together with the CD, represent DRC’s Lebanon program to funders and potential donors
- Act as a proactive member of the SMT, promoting and role-modeling values
To be successful on this role we expect you to possess the following:
- Master's degree in political science, international development, humanitarian assistance &/ or other relevant field.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience in program management, leadership, and design in countries of conflict/managing emergency operations in a senior management level– preferably experience in the Middle East.
- At least 4 years' experience with people management with proven leadership experience
- Solid experience in project development and management; including ability to lead on assessments, design, implementation, monitoring; with good skills in donor reporting, accountability, and compliance
- Demonstrable experience in the nurturing of organisational learning with the ability to draft strategies/frameworks
- Excellent coordination, communication, organizational and planning skills; with the ability to work flexibly in a diverse team in a dynamic environment, fostering a positive working environment, and manage issues sensitively and diplomatically.
- Strong capacity building, facilitation, and presentation skills with the ability develop strong interpersonal relationships to facilitate communication and support partner and staff.
- Proven experience in effectively coordinating with National Governments, International and National NGO partners, UN and coordinating with donors.
- Extensive knowledge of UN, US and European institutional donors and their compliance requirements with proven experience of developing successful funding proposals, contract management including consortia grants
- Strong understanding of localization agenda as well as partnership approaches and tools
- Commitment to integrate gender, protection conflict sensitivity and accountability into programming
- Keen understanding of the complexities in the Middle East region
- Full professional proficiency in English is mandatory
- Proficiency in Arabic is desired
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 24 months
Designation of Duty Station: Beirut with travel to field locations l Non-family Duty Station
Start date: 21 March 2022
Salary and other conditions are offered in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates staff or DRC National Staff salary scale.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 26 January 2022
Please note that applications will be reviewed continuously and interviews will be planned as soon as a suitable candidate is identified - so early submission of applications is encouraged. DRC remains a right to close the vacancy once a suitable candidate is identified.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.