Youth Academy Intern - Summer 2022
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 26 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK
The IRC CONNECT Summer Youth Academy is a five-week intensive learning experience for recently-arrived refugee and asylee youth to address identified learning gaps in English and Math. Up to 50 students ages 12 –21 participate in academic, creative arts, physical education and social emotional learning classes. Interns will plan and implement the Youth Academy including student recruitment, volunteer recruitment and training, curriculum development, teaching, monitoring and evaluation, public relations, and community partnership development. The Summer Academy will be held in Prince George's County or virtually.
- Facilitate student and volunteer recruitment and training, the enrollment of new students, curriculum development, teaching and monitoring and evaluation.
- Interact daily with students and families to build positive relationships and encourage academic success.
- Assist with program logistics, including: setting up program space, contacting participants, maintaining attendance records, and administering pre-and post-program evaluation surveys.
- Conduct outreach to local organizations for donations of services and/or goods.
- Interns will learn about the challenges and barriers humanitarian immigrant students encounter while integrating into U.S. schools.
- Interns will learn to identify the unique strengths and benefits that these students bring to our communities.
- Interns will gain curriculum development experience and skills including: defining learning objectives, identifying and developing effective classroom teaching methods for multicultural, multilingual students, and implementing assessment tools.
- Interns will gain experience working and teaching in multicultural environments.
- Interns will learn about the US refugee resettlement system and services and benefits available to refugees and asylees in the State of Maryland and across the US.