Manager, Sexual & Reproductive Health, Global Markets Team
Manager, Sexual & Reproductive Health, Global Markets Team
- United States
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Global Markets Team - Global Markets Team
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
Overview of the Global Markets Team:
The CHAI Global Markets Team (GMT) strives to build healthier marketplaces for vital medical commodities in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). In particular, the GMT is responsible for designing, negotiating, and supporting the effective and sustainable implementation of market-shaping interventions that can increase access to critical health commodities in LMICs. Example market-shaping interventions range from traditional policy-led and grant-financed initiatives such as pooled procurement, coordinated ordering, and strategic demand forecasting to more innovative mechanisms such as volume guarantees (VGs), advance market commitments (AMCs), and working capital facilities.
See some examples of the GMT’s work below:
- Breakthrough agreement will reduce costs and increase access to diagnostic technology for millions in low- and middle-income countries
- Breakthrough global agreement sharply lowers price of early infant diagnosis of HIV
- Price reduction agreement for contraceptive implants increased distribution by >50% and will save more than US$300M
- CHAI and partners announce agreement to help save mothers' lives
- Landmark HIV Diagnostic Access Program Will Save US$150M
To conduct its work, the GMT closely collaborates with stakeholders on both the supply and demand sides of the market as well as at both the country and global levels. The GMT plays a leading role within CHAI in terms of managing relationships with major pharmaceutical and diagnostics companies to shape their access programs. The GMT also leads CHAI’s engagement with generic firms, assisting in the development of licensing agreements, product development agreements, and entry of generic products into new markets.
Within the GMT, the Sexual & Reproductive Health (SRH) team is composed of individuals who are passionate about increasing access to quality and affordable SRH products in LMICs. The GMT SRH team prioritizes professional development and growth for its staff and strives to foster a dynamic and meritocratic team environment. GMT SRH leadership will proactively work with the new manager to ensure they feel both continually supported as well as challenged at work.
The GMT SRH Manager will drive forward key SRH market-shaping activities. This role will involve leading projects to enhance access to vital SRH commodities in LMICs through a range of activities such as negotiating supplier agreements, supporting the introduction and scaleup of key commodities once supplier agreements have been reached, and bringing generic competition to market. As part of these activities, the manager will often need to guide the development of compelling business cases and demand forecasts, among other analyses.
We are seeking a highly-motivated, entrepreneurial, and collaborative individual with outstanding analytical, problem-solving, stakeholder management, and communication skills. The manager must be able to function independently, be comfortable working across various technical and country teams within CHAI, and have a strong commitment to excellence. We also place great value on qualities such humility, flexibility, and resourcefulness.
There is a preference for this role to be based in the US but alternative CHAI program country locations may be possible, pending GMT and country team leadership approval.
This role will require up to 25% travel (as is feasible e.g., pending the COVID context).
- Building and maintaining trust-based relationships with key suppliers, donors, and external partners at a senior level
- Developing and building consensus around strategic frameworks and priorities in order to move forward SRH market-shaping discussions
- Leading supplier engagement and negotiations on market-shaping initiatives
- Effectively managing ongoing market-shaping agreements between relevant parties
- Collaborating with CHAI's technical teams to develop and implement strategies to help suppliers accelerate the development, regulatory approval, and commercialization of key products
- Working to design, build, and socialize key analyses to support market-shaping efforts (e.g., demand forecasts, business cases, etc.)
- Working in close partnership with CHAI’s SRH team to facilitate critical stakeholder discussions that can help bolster market-shaping efforts
- Providing thoughtful and regular feedback and coaching to GMT SRH staff
- Other responsibilities as needed
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 7 years of work experience; preference for candidates with strong private-sector backgrounds (e.g., management consulting, investment banking), as well as advanced degrees
- Dynamic, entrepreneurial individual with outstanding problem-solving, analytical, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills
- Ability to operate in an unstructured but demanding multicultural environment, with a demonstrable track record of high performance. High levels of independence and motivation required
- Ability to absorb and synthesize a broad range of information
- Ability to be effective in high-pressure situations
- Available for up to 25% travel (as is feasible e.g., pending the COVID context)
- Experience living or working internationally
- Experience managing, mentoring, and coaching staff
Experience with public health and/or infectious disease programs
- Experience in the healthcare industry (e.g., healthcare consulting, clinical trials, drug manufacturing, regulatory issues or commercial drug development)