Legal Services Manager (Leesburg, VA)
Location: Leesburg, VA
Background: The US government is offering humanitarian protection within the United States to a certain set of Afghan nationals who face risks of persecution in their home country. The International Rescue Committee is working with the US government to support the reception, processing and preparation for onward relocation of Afghan families that are offered in safe haven where new arrived families reside for the first 2 -4 weeks after arrival to the US.
As new arrivals without status in the US will be paroled into the country. During their time at the safe haven, IRC will prepare I-765 Employment Authorization Document applications for all paroled guests and submit to USCIS for adjudication.
Scope: The Legal Services Lead will oversee a team of up to ten generalist who will prepare the I-765 applications for up to 400 individuals per week on the safe haven. They will be accountable for uphold ethical standards of practice in the preparation, review and transmission of these applications.
· Ensure excellence and alignment with ethical standards in in the preparation, review, safeguarding and transmission of I-765 applications on behalf of Afghan parolees served.
· Train, supervise, schedule, monitor and provide feedback to team of I-765 generalists (preparers)
· Review all I-765 forms prepared for accuracy and completeness ahead of submission to USCIS
· Liaise with USCIS representatives at safe haven to ensure timely and successful submission
· Coordinate with IRC Placement Counseling Lead and other teams on outreach to guests to ensure excellent levels of attendance in accordance with set schedules
· Gather feedback regularly from preparers, guests and other stakeholders to smooth and dignified flow of operations
· Ensure all necessary forms, materials and other equipment is available consistently and I-765 preparation areas is maintained orderly and professional
· Report issues and concerns arise or are detected in I-765 preparation setting to IRC Site Lead, and as appropriate to relevant stakeholders,
· Participate in meetings and other activities as member of IRC’s Senior Management team for the safe haven
· Must hold a J.D. or be a DOJ accredited representative authorized to represent cases to USCIS
· A minimum of 3 years of experience in preparation and filing of USCIS benefit applications for parolees, refugees, asylees, asylum-seekers of other humanitarian immigrants.
· Prior experience in the preparation of the I-765 long form is strongly prep.
· At least 1 years experiencing managing legal assistant and interns
· Previous experience in cross-cultural settings
· Must be available to work fulltime through September 2022
· Standard Mon – Fri work week
· Commute to safe haven locations daily#LI-GR1