Digital Health Technical Advisor
Digital Health Technical Advisor
- United States
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Infectious Disease - Global Malaria
- Additional Location Description
- Flexible, pending country approval with preference to Africa regions
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to providing an environment of fairness, and mutual respect where all applicants have access to equal employment opportunities. CHAI values diversity and inclusion, and recognizes that our mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people with diverse experience, backgrounds, and culture.
CHAI’s global malaria program provides direct technical and operational support to countries around the globe to strengthen their malaria programs and reduce the burden of this preventable, treatable disease. We support governments to scale up effective interventions for prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and surveillance, with the goals of sustainably reducing the number of malaria-related illnesses and deaths worldwide in the short-term and accelerating progress towards malaria elimination in the long term.
Technology plays a key role in achieving these objectives. CHAI’s digital health team works with a range of stakeholders from Ministries of Health, end users (e.g., healthcare providers, health system managers, health care delivery organizations, patients), technology organizations, and donors to (1) deliver digital products that solve public health problems, (2) to support governments in scaling and sustaining digital products, and (3) to create an enabling digital ecosystem. Furthermore, CHAI’s digital health team plays a connecting role between technical and nontechnical stakeholders to ensure products are fit for purpose and scalable across use cases and countries.
Overview of Role
CHAI is seeking a driven and highly motivated individual to drive the scoping, design, and development of digital products to support public health campaigns. They will work closely with internal teams and external partners to provide strong technical direction and lead the development of products to improve efficiencies in campaign activities which may include planning, supply chain management, training, campaign delivery, payment, and monitoring and evaluation. The candidate may also support product management, maintenance, and implementation of other digital platforms within the Digital Health team’s product portfolio (e.g., Geoprism Registry, Reveal, DHIS2)
The individual will serve as a product owner, supporting technical scoping, requirements gathering, and ensuring strong execution (e.g., design, development, progress tracking, testing, deployment) to deliver on product requirements. The candidate will identify, build, and manage relationships with technology organizations/partners whose products will be used to digitize campaigns and other digital health initiatives. They will work closely with a range of CHAI teams to support governments to implement digital health products that meet the program objectives and provide strategic guidance on integration and scalability of such products across major public health campaign activities.
A successful candidate will need to possess strong communication, organizational, and project management skills. They must exhibit a passion for results, a commitment to excellence, and the capacity to facilitate multi-stakeholder and strategic discussions. CHAI places great value on the following qualities in its staff: resourcefulness, responsibility, patience, tenacity, humility, independence, energy, and work ethic.
Product scoping and design (20%)
- Collaborate with CHAI (regional and country) teams and external organizations involved in campaign implementations to identify and document the challenges and use cases for digital products to support public health campaigns, disease surveillance, and more broadly health systems strengthening
- Collaborate with CHAI teams and external organizations involved in campaign implementations to define end users, understand user personas, and co-design solutions with users where applicable
- Develop high-level product requirements documentation to inform software development
- Develop product assessment framework and conduct research/interviews with technology partners to identify existing products that meet product requirements or may benefit from targeted investment.
Product and partnership management (40%)
- Maintain coordination across key programmatic, technology, and product stakeholders to implement product development and implementation plan
- Drive progress towards executing product roadmap in partnership with technology partners, including representing programmatic stakeholders, backlog prioritization, releases, and development life cycle
- Design product testing strategies with technology partners and collaborate with country stakeholders to conduct tests and gather feedback
- Work with developers to prioritize product test results and user feedback for inclusion into software roadmap and/or configure the application appropriately
- Define KPIs for product performance, usability, and uptake, and oversee monitoring during implementation
Implementation and maintenance of digital solutions (30%)
- Collaborate with regional CHAI informatics teams in technical set up and configuration, user testing, training, supervision, monitoring, issue escalation, and transition of product ownership for all country-level implementations
- Monitor use of products in country, collecting feedback, triaging issues, and escalating to technology partners as necessary
- Collaborate with regional CHAI informatics teams to develop country-level sustainability plans for products and advise on transition of technology partner relationships to governments post-deployment
- Collaborate with regional CHAI informatics teams to develop operational plans and strategies to ensure products are used across program use cases (e.g., malaria, NTD, polio, COVID-19 vaccination) and integrated with wider information systems in country as needed
Knowledge management and dissemination (10%)
- Work with technology partners to ensure up-to-date documentation is in place to support roll out and maintenance of digital products
- Advocate for products to global, regional, and country stakeholders to strengthen scalability and sustainability
- Stay up to date on available features and functionalities on key products to provide guidance on appropriate tool selection and implementation considerations
- Document lessons learned on technical products for CHAI-wide or global sharing
- Master's degree in relevant field (health informatics, public health, computer science) with 5-7 years of working experience as a technical project manager, product manager, business analyst or in a similar role to deliver business requirements for technology initiatives
- Experience in managing agile product development, including working with engineering, design, implementers, and clients to prioritize use cases, launch a product, and ensure it meets the needs of target users
- Experience working and communicating with government officials and/or multilateral organizations, with strengths in communicating technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience working in an international context and/or fast-based entrepreneurial environment, with demonstrated ability to work with a sense of urgency and in high pressure situations
- Exceptional communication skills with people of varied professional and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to travel approximately 30-40% of the year
- Fluency in English and French
- Knowledge of malaria, polio, NTD and/or public health campaigns
- Knowledge of common health information management systems and digital global goods (e.g., DHIS2, OpenLMIS, OpenSRP, CommCare)
- Understanding of interoperability principles and standards (HL7, IHE, FHIR)
- Experience implementing technology-based solutions with users including user research, field testing, and training
- Experience in defining and measuring performance of digital products
- Experience working remotely with a decentralized team
- Experience living or working in resource-limited countries