Digital Community Liaison Manager
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC seeks to be an operational and inspiring leader in matters of resettlement, asylum, and integration, demonstrating its credibility and expertise as a leading service provider, partner and advocate across the arc of the global displacement crisis.
Across Europe, the IRC delivers programs that address acute humanitarian needs of asylum-seekers and other vulnerable migrants who are newly arrived, stranded or in transit, and programs that address their longer-term integration needs.
In response to the increased number of people on the move from 2015, the IRC began responding in the Balkans to assist vulnerable refugees, asylum seekers and migrants. Since the conflict in Ukraine started and consequent displacement into neighboring countries from February 2022, the programs are established to address the most pressing needs of people on the move across the South-east Europe. IRC continues to use its voice and expertise to increase safe and legal pathways, ensure protection and improve the quality of resettlement, asylum and integration services. The programs are implemented in close partnership with local non-governmental organizations and governmental institutions.
The Digital Community Manager leads a team of Digital Community Liaison Officers (DCLs) who respond to questions sent through social media, helping people displaced by the crisis in Ukraine to navigate the information they need to access services, know and claim their rights, and stay safe. DCLs provide non-judgmental support to people in need, always letting the client lead the conversation, and providing empathetic accompaniment to people navigating a new reality and complex information ecosystem. S/he oversees multichannel communication to ensure quality of response, with the safety and well-being of clients at the fore. S/he also identifies gaps in information and trends in information requests and reports those back to the Editorial team to support iterative design of information products.
- Manage a team of Digital Community Liaisons (DCLs), routing messages to different team members based on workload, geographic focus, or other areas of expertise.
- Ensure that messages are responded to in a timely manner and that responses follow established best practice in client-driven communication approaches, psychological first aid, confidentiality, and escalation processes for acute protection needs.
- Coach, train, supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting quarterly performance objectives, providing regular and timely positive and constructive performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- Assess staffing needs and make recommendations on a continuous basis.
- Work with Social Media Manager to time ad campaigns appropriate to DCL workload.
- Provide regular reports on trends in information requests, feedback, and other insights to the broader Signpost team to inform editorial and social media strategy.
- Develop standard language for commonly asked questions in consultation with the editorial team.
- Keep up to date of new information content on an ongoing basis and ensure the DCL team is aware of and understands new developments in the context, including changes in policy, border conditions, documentation processes, etc.
- Work to optimize the technology tools that the DCL team uses to manage communication.
- Excellent oral and written Ukrainian Language skills required. Proficiency in Russian and English is desired.
- Follow up with a shift schedule of the DCLs that could be changing on a weekly basis. Ensure the shifts are completed and communicated across the team
- Follow closely developments in the migration context in the wider region and in collaboration with DCLs, suggest new content to be developed to the Editorial team
- Follow protocol to escalate any communication from vulnerable cases to Protection Specialists.
- Create links with the refugee and migrant communities and promote their engagement.
- Translate articles and support the production of audio and video messages.
- Travel within Balkans and south-eastern Europe.