Senior Area Coordinator
IRC started its operations in Chad in 2004 to respond to the humanitarian crisis caused by the influx of refugees from Darfur to eastern Chad. Assistance to Sudanese refugees has now expanded to the management of the eleven camps in the East and one camp in the West with assistance to refugees and local communities in health, nutrition and water, hygiene and sanitation. In 2012, to respond to drought and food insecurity, IRC expanded its geographic coverage in the Guera province; IRC is currently working in five health districts and is providing prevention and treatment of malnutrition to the local population as well as family planning and gender-based violence related activities (GBV). In May 2016, IRC opened an office in Lac province to respond to the Boko Haram crisis. IRC implements assistance projects in health, nutrition as well as protection and response to gender-based violence (GBV).
Under supervision of Country Director, Senior Area Coordinator (SAC) is responsible for management and implementation of program in his coverage zone. He/she is assuring management and monitoring of service quality: security, administration, human resources, logistics and finance. SAC is responsible to maintain excellent working with partners and peers agencies, namely local governmental representatives. He/she participated actively to various forums and coordination meetings with UN system and other NGOs.
• Assure IRC representation in area of influence for local, administrative, and traditional authorities, and other actors and partners present in the area.
• Assure participation of IRC in various humanitarian meetings and fora in Lac province.
• In close collaboration with Safety & Security Coordinator, he/she is in charge of security of IRC staff and provides regular weekly updates (or more often is needed) on security situation.
• Ensure safety of IRC team and property and provide regular updated to management in Ndjamena.
• Assure coordination of efficient and effective quality program.
• Contribute to implementation of Chad Strategic Action Plan (S100) in Lac province;
• Working closely with operations and finance department to assure needed support for effective implementation of our program in area of influence.
• Ensure application and document all IRC administrative, financial and logistics procedures and always ensure their compliance by all staff and at all times.
• Proceed to regular verification and solve problems linked to supply chain, stock management, vehicle, service provider contracts and management of active assets.
• Working closely with management team in Ndjamena, finance and operation department to assure good coordination and best use of IRC resources in compliance with IRC procedures and politiques to achieve project objectives.
• Put in place, revise and maintain internal financial controls and system management.
• Participate to monitoring and evaluation of activities in the field linked to project indicators.
• Assure supervision of staff and perform as good people manager according to IRC Standards for all people managers.
• Assure induction of staff and team motivation, promote a good working environment.
• Assure the recruitment process respects IRC policies and procedures namely gender, equality, diversity, and inclusion values.
• Assure management/coordination meetings in the area of influence.
• Respect IRC values (IRC Way) and assure proper follow up in respect of IRC Way Code of conduct of our staff, service providers and partners.
• Assurer identification of potential IRC local partners in area in collaboration with program team and Senior Partnership Manager based in Ndjamena.
Key Working Relationships :
Position reports to: Country Director
Positions directly supervises : Project Manager, Base Coordinator, Primary Health Coordinator, Health Manager GBV Manager, Logistic Manager, Senior Finance Manager, Accountability officer, HR Assistant Manager.
Indirect reporting: Deputy Director Operations, Deputy Director Programs, Deputy Director Finance, Grants Coordinator, Supply Chain Coordinator and HR Coordinator etc.
Ohter Internal and/or external contacts
Internal: IRC regional team
External: Clients, state services, local administrative authorities etc.
Education: University degree in social science, project management or other similar degree
• At least 5 years of experience in humanitarian context and in similar positions
• 5 years of experience in staff management, supervision and development
• Experience in project/program management in conflict and emergency contexts
• Good knowledge of operations (logistics, administration, human resources) finances and programs.
• Proven experience working with donors such as ECHO, BHA, SIFA and UN.
• Staff management in rapidly changing security context
• Excellent communication capacities and diplomatic approach
• Capacity to work with diversified team and assure inclusion of all staff
• IT competence (Word, Excel, Outlook)
• Excellent written and oral French
• Good written and oral English
Working environment : Senior Area Coordinator is based in Baga Sola, Lac province (security level is 4 – red). This position is unaccompanied.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.#LI-GR2