Manager, Sustainer Engagement and Retention
New York City | York
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work today in over 40 countries and 28 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
The IRC’s External Relations team comprises colleagues and teams delivering marketing, fundraising, brand stewardship, and communications to support this work. As part of External Relations, the Mass Markets USA (MMUSA) program is responsible for raising $60+ million in unrestricted revenue annually in the U.S. market and plays a substantial strategic role in the creation of IRC’s brand, awareness, and support for its advocacy goals.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Supporter Engagement and Retention, the Manager of Sustainer Engagement and Retention is a new opportunity striven to grow and nurture our sustaining donors (monthly donors).
We are seeking a hard-working and energized fundraiser and marketer who is excited to contribute to a growing sustainer program -- and who is passionate about humanitarian causes.
The Manager of Sustainer Engagement and Retention will work closely with the Supporter Engagement and Retention team, as well as broader Mass Markets colleagues, to implement thoughtful and effective sustainer retention tactics and campaigns.
They will be responsible for managing sustainer donor journeys across mass marketing channels, reviewing performance data to make informed decisions, and converting, retaining, and recapturing monthly donors -- as well as contributing to overall donor retention plans, including those for one-time donors.
- Achieve revenue targets by meeting critical performance indicators on donor retention, overall sustainer giving, and growth
- Manage deadlines and deliverables to engage and retain new sustainers, recapture lapsed sustainers, and upgrade existing sustainers; lead similar approaches to retain one-time donors as well
- Work with partners across Mass Markets to translate supporter journeys into multi-channel campaigns geared toward sustaining donor retention, including via direct mail, digital/paid acquisition, face-to-face, telemarketing, Supporter Care, SMS, and email
- Work together with the email marketing team to build, test, and optimize automated email triggers and series with the above goals for the sustainer audience
- Support short-term and long-term testing strategies to optimize the sustainer program
- Work with internal partners to ensure accurate reporting is in place to supervise sustainer KPIs, test results, and giving behavior
- Play a key role in developing sustainer offers and pitch in with developing copy and content for the sustainer audience
- Be ready to engage sustainers in a moment’s notice during rapid response moments
- Support quality assurance testing to ensure program materials -- including copy, tracking, and landing pages -- are flawless
- Assist in day-to-day management of direct marketing campaigns
- Keep a pulse on the latest trends and innovations in individual fundraising and sustainer giving
- Collaborate on other projects as required
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- At least 3 years of professional experience in individual fundraising (nonprofit or digital agency experience a plus); hands-on experience with monthly giving or subscription programs preferred
- Project management experience in mid to large sized fundraising programs
- Exceptional organizational skills, including the ability to work successfully in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively and adaptively in a highly collaborative, interdependent team environment
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent project and time management capabilities within a fast-paced, high-productivity environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; experience with writing and/or reviewing fundraising copy
- Demonstrated CRM experience; Salesforce experience preferred
- Email marketing platform experience; Pardot experience is a plus
- Experience with SMS program is a plus
- Ability to track, analyze and summarize performance results
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple priority projects
- Thrives in collaboration and can work well with colleagues across the organization
- Is passionate about fundraising, as well as the IRC’s cause, and seeks to help transform the lives of people affected by humanitarian crises
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits.
Standards of Professional Conduct
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Equality, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, Egalite, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.