Content Management Assistant (Retainer), Multiple positions
Background Information - Job-specific
ReliefWeb (www.reliefweb.int) is a humanitarian information website, operated by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). Its mandate is to strengthen the response capacity of the humanitarian relief community through the timely dissemination of reliable information on response, preparedness and disaster prevention.
ReliefWeb is seeking multiple individual contractors experienced in information management, content management to assist in 24/7 content management and editorial curation of the website. Specifically, ReliefWeb is looking for (a) full-time home-based contractor(s) who are able to work during operating hours in US Eastern Time Zone (GMT-5) or Eastern Africa Time Zone (GMT+3). The contractors are expected to provide service for a minimum of 28-35 hours per week and up to six days per week including Saturdays and/or Sundays, and/or major holidays.
Please indicate which time zone you can work in the cover letter for your application to be considered.
Under the direct supervision of the local ReliefWeb Editors and the overall guidance of the Chief Editor based in New York, the contractor is expected to perform content management tasks, drawing on a) a good understanding of web content management systems, principles of information management and familiarity with the information needs of the humanitarian community; and b) specialised language skills, regional and/or thematic experience for improved content curation including:
- Identify relevant content from existing and new information sources; apply approved taxonomy and editorial guidelines; ensure important content is highlighted on site and through delivery mechanisms;
- Seek out relevant humanitarian content from new sources, including social media networks;
- Quality control and verification of content as required;
- Provide regional or thematic coverage, drawing on language skills and regional experience;
- Make recommendations on how to improve the content editorial process, and, in particular, how to adapt this in light of technological improvements;
- Under minimum supervision, resolve cases ranging from simple to moderately complex while displaying empathy, good judgment, and common sense in addressing clients’ needs;
- Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
* CANDIDATES WITH NO UNITED NATIONS OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY*
- High school or Secondary School diploma is required.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field will be considered an asset and may substitute for some of the required years of experience.
- A minimum of four years of relevant experience and fair knowledge of managing websites (basic html, markdown), digital content management, client service operations using digital tools or experience in a related field is required;
- Understanding of web content management systems (CMS) including the use of taxonomy and content classification is desirable;
- Strong interest in international affairs, including emergency response, disaster management, peacebuilding and peacekeeping, development, Sustainable Development Goals, human rights and international humanitarian law, climate change, is desirable;
- Knowledge of the international humanitarian coordination system, including key actors in emergency response is desirable;
- Experience working as part of a virtual team is desirable.
- Fluency in English (read, write, speak) is required;
- Working knowledge of French, Spanish, Arabic or Russian is an asset.
- Knowledge of other languages is an asset.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team is necessary;
- Flexibility in work days and hours is needed depending on the requirements by time zones;
- Ability to work off-site while maintaining communication with the team through online communication tools is necessary;
- Access to computing assets and connectivity adequate for discharge of duties is required.
Contract type, level and duration
Please include a cover letter in your application.
Please indicate which time zone you can work in the cover letter for your application to be considered
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA) - Retainer
Contract level: LICA-4/ICSC-4
Contract duration:Three months with possibility of extension, subject to performance
Contract Modality: Retainer
Duty Station: home-based
Note: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) Retainer : A retainer contract is issued for a period of time during which the services of the individual contractor are required intermittently. The individual contractor agreement on retainer basis will specify a “unit price” per day worked. For budgetary purposes, a monetary cap will be determined when the contract is awarded and issued. Please note that the retainer contract will not provide for a minimum, and payment will be made only after completion of work
This is not a position in UNOPS. UNOPS is solely providing operational support to its partner UNOCHA for this recruitment process. The selected candidate will be a personnel member of UNOCA under its full responsibility and salaries and benefits will be decided by UNOCHA.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC)
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.