Location : Turin
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. In response to the increased refugee arrivals into Europe, the IRC established the program initially in Greece, which was expanded with programs in Serbia and wider Balkans and with programs in Germany. Following a first assessment conducted in January 2017 in Italy and another one in July 2017, several critical protection gaps were identified within assistance provided to refugees in migrants in Italy: mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS), assistance to unaccompanied children, information provision and legal support. To respond to the identified gaps IRC established a small presence in Italy. Programs in Italy include: Refugee.Info web-based information platform, child protection programming targeting unaccompanied children and victims of trafficking, mentoring programs for the socio-economic inclusion of refugee youth, WPE and education (social emotional learning and healing classrooms), emergency response to the Afghan crisis on the border between Italy and Slovenia.
IRC is looking for Cultural mediator(s) - Ukrainian based in Italy, in charge of cultural mediation and interpretation in Turin. Reporting to the Program Manager, the cultural mediator(s) will assist with outreach activities to new arrivals of refugees / asylum seekers coming from Ukraine. S/he is responsible for conducting outreach / interpretation / translation activities with beneficiaries fleeing from the Ukrainian conflict assisting the Program Manager with implementation of protection monitoring and basic emergency support needs.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
• Support IRC staff with interpretation during implementation of activities for women and children, and local community engagement.
• Information dissemination: deliver up to date, culturally appropriate and accurate information to Ukrainian nationals on asylum procedures, temporary protections and rights in Italy, as well availability of services including health, housing, transport etc.
• Support with translation of content and messages on Refugee.Info.
• Psychological first aid: with training and supervision from IRC staff, the cultural mediator will be expected to provide basic support to refugees from Ukraine facing mental health challenges
• Ensure appropriate, timely, and accurate data collection using agreed indicator tracking templates to enable both internal and external reporting.
• Contribute to narrative monthly reports for IRC’s part of the scope of work. Reports will include short summary of trends and needs of the community.
Position directly reports to: Program Manager, IRC Italy
This position is based in Turin.