Client Support Intern (Summer)
BACKGROUND: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading, non-sectarian, non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. Domestically, our 22 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK: Our resource development department is responsible for community development, outreach, in-kind donation coordination, and volunteer management – all with the focus of expanding and improving the support we provide to our newly resettled clients. The client support intern will assist resource development staff with the coordination and facilitation of our most-needed client support programs. These programs are staffed by our volunteers and include activities such as providing bus orientations, matching clients with volunteer ESL tutors and family mentors, facilitating vehicle donations for clients, etc. Tasks may include scheduling introductory meetings with volunteers and clients as well as interpreters, utilizing our volunteer software to coordinate a group of volunteers to provide bus orientations, training volunteers to provide bus orientations, communicating with volunteers via email and phone, and administrative support for these programs such as volunteer activity tracking.
· Attend Volunteer/Intern Orientation
· Coordinate volunteers to provide required client support
· Train volunteers in their specific tasks
· Host bus orientations for volunteers and/or clients
· Support community outreach effort to build the capacity of these programs
· Facilitate and participate in introductory meetings between volunteers and clients (with the help of an interpreter)
· Provide timely, accurate, and clear communication to volunteers via email and phone
· Record hours and submit completed timesheet for each month via the IRC’s online Volunteer Dashboard.