New York City
Location: This role is fully remote but must overlap with the East Africa Timezone by at least 2 hours. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of employment Visas in the U.S. or U.K. at this time.
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $700M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1 million people, and launched offices in 10 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses.
About this role
We are seeking a data coordinator responsible for executing data-related processes that are fundamental to enrolling and paying recipients. We believe technology will play a critical role in enabling the next generation of cash delivery operations: from identifying recipients without needing to knock on doors to a modern payments infrastructure that gets dollars in recipients’ hands faster and more scalably.
This role is an opportunity to gain hands-on experience collecting and manipulating data, managing data systems, and supporting complex projects. You will facilitate field operations and payments by owning defined processes, building surveys, and ensuring data quality. You will be exposed to various tools, including Python and Salesforce, developing technical skills to automate existing workflows and analytical skills for solving problems. You will work closely with senior data team members and operations staff to support new project launches.
You are looking to build foundational technical skills for data and systems management, with a defined growth path to increased responsibility. You are detail oriented, analytical, and take initiative to improve existing processes. You are a strong communicator and problem solver looking to gain experience supporting complex projects. You enjoy learning about technology in a variety of business contexts.
Reports to: Senior Technical Program Manager
What you’ll do:
- Build data collection surveys for new project launches, helping GiveDirectly to reach more people across more geographies
- Execute data cleaning and user access processes in Salesforce to facilitate field operations and payments for those projects
- Execute existing Python and Salesforce Apex code to automate processes, with opportunities to develop new code
- Manage reporting of key metrics tracking field operations and payments
- Debug and resolve issues across multiple layers of our technology stack, including Salesforce and our offline survey app
- Support senior data team members with project scoping, design, and implementation
What you’ll bring:
- Alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
- Interest in impacting day-to-day operations and building technical skills
- Analytical skills: ability to leverage tools to, clean, manipulate, and analyze data to make operational decisions
- Strong personal time-management and prioritization skills
- Strong attention to detail and process
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders
- Deep comfort with Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets
- Exceptional alignment with GD values (outlined below)
- Bonus but not required: experience writing code
- Bonus but not required: experience working with relational databases (e.g. SQL)
- Bonus but not required: experience with statistical computing programs (e.g. R, Python, Stata)
- Bonus but not required: experience managing timelines, stakeholders, and complex deliverables
- Required: Fluent in English
At GiveDirectly, we strive to pay our employees generously and equitably. We use an accredited third party salary aggregator to ensure that staff’s total compensation package (base compensation + bonus) falls within the 75th percentile of similar roles, at similar organizations. We also have a no negotiation policy to ensure we are paying staff equitably across roles.
- The base salary for this role is $58,500 for the United States, and $30,500 for Kenya.
This role is fully remote, so if you are not based in the US or Kenya, we will share an estimated salary benchmark for the country you are based in during the hiring process.
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary, including bonus
- A robust health benefits plan (exact details will vary by country)
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance and flexible work location
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins) Take home skills assignment (~2 hours) Second interview (1 hour)* Third interview (1 hour)* Final interview (1 hour) Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
We’re committed to running an inclusive and accessible application process for all of our open roles. If there are questions or concerns you have about the accessibility of our hiring process, we warmly invite you to reach out to [email protected].
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**