Home Based - May require travel
CORPORATE BACKGROUNDUNDP works in about 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience to sustain development results.UNDP is strengthening new frameworks for development, disaster risk reduction, and climate change. We support countries' efforts to achieve the new Sustainable Development Goals, guiding global development priorities through 2030. The fundamental 2030 Agenda principle of leaving no one behind and stamping out inequality is at the core of everything we do.UNDP focuses on helping countries build and share solutions in three main areas:
- Sustainable development
- Democratic governance and peacebuilding
- Climate and disaster resilience
In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights and the empowerment of women, minorities, and the poorest and most vulnerable.
INTERNSHIP OFFICE BACKGROUNDThe Lake Chad Basin Commission (LCBC) was established on 22 May 1964 by the four countries bordering Lake Chad: Cameroon, Niger, Nigeria, and Chad. The mandates of the Commission include the management of Lake Chad and its shared water resources, preservation of the ecosystems, and promotion of regional integration, peace, security, and development in the Lake Chad Region.In 2018, the Lake Chad Basin Commission, with support from the African Union and UNDP, the LCBC launched a Regional Strategy for the Stabilization, Recovery, and Resilience (RSS) for the Lake Chad Basin regions affected by the Boko Haram crisis: Cameroon (The Far North and North Region), Niger (Diffa Region), Nigeria: Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States) and Chad (Lac and Hajder-Lamis Provinces.The RSS 'seeks to establish a common approach and an inclusive framework for all stakeholders to support a timely, coordinated, and effective transition from stabilization to early recovery and the resumption of stalled development processes' (LCBC, 2018).The Lake Chad Basin Commission RSS Secretariat coordinates the implementation of the RSS and ensures coordination of humanitarian, development, and peace actors working in the LCB region. A critical part of RSS implementation is the Knowledge Management Platform (KMP), envisaged as a high-quality web-based resource for policymakers, practitioners, and civil society. The KMP will serve four purposes: (1) as the go-to source for news and information on all aspects of the stabilization, recovery, and development effort around Lake Chad; (2) as a space for networking and interaction of the practice community; (3) as a dynamic tool for improved coordination and crisis response; (4) as a repository for policy documents, strategies, action plans, assessment reports, lessons learned, and good regional and global practices.To support the management of the day-to-day sourcing, update, and sharing of data and information, the LCBC/RSS Secretariat is seeking to recruit a Knowledge Management intern to support the overall management of the platform.
Duties and Responsibilities
Assist and support to RSS activities related to knowledge management
- Support the development and management of RSS SharePoint and to facilitate information sharing with partners and stakeholder across all platforms.
- Develop information management protocol for RSS
- Ensure that the newly established RSS KMP is regularly updated
- Conduct regular scanning of conflict, security, and development data across the LCB region and ensure that KMP information is regularly updated
- Support the production of summaries of all RSS reports including transforming narrative report into Power Point with infographics, graphs and data
- Track and analyze large and complex data sets using analytic tools (MS Excel, STATA, SQL, Python, and R)
- Produce weekly and monthly MIS reports (MS Excel / Tableau) for RSS management to make timely, informed decisions
- Manage the Knowledge Management Platform (KMP) as a repository for policy documents, strategies, action plans, assessment reports, and best practices
- Support the setup of RSS KMP is up to date and serves as a highquality resource for policymakers for the issues on the LCB region
- Identify key issues based on data insights and propose solutions in the weekly / monthly report
- Partner closely with RSS management to understand relevant issues, weekly actions, and policy goals to provide analytical support
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, with minimum supervision.
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion, and loyalty.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication, and administrative skills.
- Able to multitask, balance multiple responsibilities, and work to deadline.
- Commitment to the UNDP vision, mission, and strategic goals.
- Must be able to work in a multicultural environment and be aware of political sensitivities.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others, and responds appropriately.
- Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; and
- Tailor’s language, tone, style, and format to match the audience.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational and unit goals; and
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise and willingness to learn from others
Required Skills and Experience
Applicants to this Internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Currently in the final year of a bachelor’s degree; or currently enrolled in a master’s or PhD degree; or have graduated no longer than 1 year ago from a bachelor’s or master’s degree or equivalent
- Fields of study: Economics, Statistics, Accountancy, Business Management, Business Administration, Financial Management, Business Analytics, Computer Sciences, Library Science, International Development, Social Sciences, Regional Studies, other fields of study relevant for the advertised internship position.
- Familiarity with SharePoint and other similar tools desirable.
- Familiarity with designing.
- Familiarity with aspects of project management is desirable.
- Familiarity with issues related to the use of digital technologies in development
- cooperation is desirable.
- Prior experience with the multilateral system or with a bilateral donor agency is
- Demonstrated capacity to gather comprehensive information on complex problems or
- situations, analyzing information accurately and identifying key issues and solutions.
- Demonstrated experience of initiative, client-orientation, working in teams, in complex
- and time-pressured contexts.
- Fluency in oral and written English and/or French is required.
- Knowledge of other UN language is an asset.
ApplicationTo apply please include in your application one pdf file that includes:Your resume in a format of your choosing
- Cover letter (max. 2 pages) including information about:
Your interest to apply for an internship with UNDP / RSSYour experience in knowledge management / information technology, including familiarity and/or level of knowledge of SharePoint, Excel, Office 365, SQL.Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Internship Conditions:UNDP will not pay interns for internship but will provide a stipend monthly in accordance with the provisions of the UNDP internship policy; all other expenses connected with it will be borne by the intern or the sponsoring Government or institution.Interns need to obtain financing for subsistence and make own arrangements for internship, travel, VISA, accommodation, etc.UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship.Interns are responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed.Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship.Interns must provide proof of enrolment in health insurance plan.Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity.Interns are expected to work full time, but flexibility is allowed for education programmes.Interns will accrue leaves at a rate of 1.5 days per month and will be granted off-days on official UN holidays for the Republic of Chad. If exceptional leave arrangements are necessary, requests must be submitted to and be approved by the supervisors in advance to ensure adequate office arrangements.