Fire Officer (HSE-FRS-2022-49-LD)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a professional fire officer? Contribute your skills and experience for the safety of a unique environment hosting some of the world’s most complex technical installations. Join CERN’s Fire and Rescue Service (CFRS). Take part!
CERN fire and Rescue Service provides around-the-clock emergency services including firefighting, accident response and emergency care and rescue. It is involved in various general safety activities, in particular training, drafting of operational procedures (forward planning, prevention, means of rescue) and collaboration with the fire and rescue services of the Organization's Host States (France and Switzerland).
As professional fire officer, you will be a member of CFRS and report directly to the Head of the Fire and Rescue Service or to Operational Leaders. As a fire officer, you will play a dual role - operational and managerial - as follows:
As a CFRS on-duty officer:
- Direct and coordinate complex rescue and accident operational response and provide any other service requested by the Director-General in the wider interests of the Organization.
- Coordinate the collaboration between CFRS and its stakeholders both internally and externally.
- Ensure the readiness for action of CFRS personnel and equipment.
- Provide operational sections and other safety services with technical expertise, with a view to the logical coordinated and rapid implementation of means and methods of responding to threats and incidents of all kinds.
- Process information relating to operational activities and communicate it to the team of officers and the head of service.
- Check, approve and disseminate intervention reports.
As a member of the CFRS management team:
- Participate in the operational and administrative management of the group.
- Contribute to the definition of the objectives of the firefighting teams and ensure that these objectives are achieved.
- Lead and implement various CFRS projects.
- Prepare for, supervise, and take part in CERN's events.
- Follow training and take part in training exercises in accordance with the CFRS training plan and annual training programme.
- Develop collaborations with the various stakeholders of the CFRS and contribute to these
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Safety or Emergency or a related field.
Valid B-driving license, C-driving license is an advantage.
In addition, this position requires:
- The holder to have a place of residence within a 60 km radius of the Organization's facilities.
- The wearing of the uniform is compulsory, as is the use of protective clothing and equipment, including self-contained breathing apparatus.
- Physical capabilities appropriate to the post
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in an urban, industrial, or other large, organised fire and rescue service environment.
- Extensive experience as an officer, or in a leadership role in a fire and rescue centre is essential.
- Experience as a silver operational command officer involving multiple appliances and incident types
Specific experience required:
- Proven experience in the field of fire prevention in buildings and/or in the implementation of a training plan.
- Project management
- Emergency first response: application and monitoring of the emergency response procedure (observe, orient, decide, act, check).
- Emergency first response: firefighting and rescue, first aid, protection of the environment and property.
- Leading with Strength and Credibility: demonstrating authority and being accountable for actions, decisions and effective functioning of the team
- Setting Direction: explaining and implementing change in such a way that team members see the benefits for themselves and for CERN Coordinating activities and focusing team on goals and objectives; monitoring progress of team towards agreed goals and taking corrective action when needed
- Achieving Results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations Driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion
- Solving Problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements
- Learning and Sharing Knowledge: Questioning traditional assumptions and ways of doing things. Sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts, or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31/08/2022
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Residence in the immediate vicinity of the Organization's installations.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Shift work, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: HSE-FRS-2022-49-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Fire Officer