Strategy Writer, International Consultancy , Level 1
SAVING LIVES.CHANGING LIVES.
WHAT IMPACT WILL YOU HAVE WORKING WITH US?
My WFP Story
“Be passionate about WFP’s mission. It’s good to take time and get to know people by networking. WFP will give you an opportunity to become a sound and reliable professional. Don't forget to have fun while at it.””.” – Partnerships Officer
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) seeks individuals of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency fighting hunger. WFP reaches more than 80 million people every day - delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with smallholder farmers, communities and governments to improve nutrition and build resilience.
The WFP Regional Bureau for Eastern and Central Africa (RBN) is based in Nairobi and provides strategic direction, technical guidance, resource mobilization and management support to WFP operations and activities in ten countries: Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan and Uganda.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The Regional Bureau Nairobi (RBN) provide support, guidance, and oversight to the 9 Country Offices (COs) in the Eastern Africa region. The Programme Unit of the Regional Bureau provides this guidance, support and oversight to the various country-level programme teams and functional areas, including on issues of Cooperating Partner (CP)/NGO management.
This position is required to draft a Regional Cooperating Partner Management Strategy for the Eastern Africa Region to support the effective delivery of our Country Strategic Plans (CSPs), meet our Grand bargain agreements on localization and improve our engagement with women-led organizations to deliver our CSP objectives. Consultations with numerous stakeholders across the organization including with external partners and organizations will be required to produce a well-informed strategy that is implementable within the region.
This assignment sits in the Regional Bureau Programme Cycle Management unit and reports to the Head of Unit.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Draft and finalize a Regional Cooperating Partner Management Strategy for the Eastern Africa Region.
- Liaise with key stakeholders in HQ, regional bureau and country offices to solicit and incorporate inputs/feedback.
- Reference key corporate documents: Regional CP Evaluation, External Audit for CP Mgmt., all CO internal audits for the past 3 years; NGO corporate guidance, other external resources, etc.
- Present Regional CP Mgmt. Strategy for endorsement to Regional Management, HQ
- CP/NGO unit and Country Office management.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
- Produce a Regional Cooperating Partner Management Strategy for the Eastern Africa Region.
- Present the Regional CP Mgmt. Strategy for endorsement to Regional Management
- Present the Regional CP Mgmt. Strategy to other key stakeholders (HQ CP/NGO unit and Country Office management, etc.)
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University Degree and/or equivalent experience with emphasis in one or more of the following disciplines: political sciences, economics, agriculture, international affairs, social sciences, development studies or a field relevant to international development or humanitarian assistance.
Language: International Professional: Fluency in English language. French is highly desirable.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- 5+ years of experience writing strategy documents that can be translated into clear implementation deliverables/milestones
- Experience in the humanitarian/development context involving cooperating partners, government partners and women-led organizations
- Specific experience in strategy formulation, programme management and project planning in a large multicultural institution in the field is an asset.
- Previous experience with WFP or the UN System is an asset.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Ability to translate programme principles into relevant, effective, and context specific approaches;
• Excellent writing skills in English; French an asset;
• Ability to explain WFP strategies and principles to counterparts and partners clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing;
• Good understanding of project lifecycle, humanitarian principles and tools, programmes and transfer modalities;
• General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures;
• General knowledge of the Grand Bargain Agreement;
• Good analytical and research skills;
• Good interpersonal skills, teamwork spirit and ab
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Type of contract: International Consultancy, Level I
Unit/Division: WFP Regional Bureau for East Africa (RBN)
Duty Station(City, Country): Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: 6 months
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline for applications: 22nd May 2022
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.