FAO National Consultant Rural Development Project Development in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Home Based - May require travel
The project TCP/BIH/3804 “Supporting local agricultural and rural development planning” will support the enhancement of institutional capacities in rural development and community development planning, programming, coordination and implementation at cantonal and municipal levels in the Republika Srpska and in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Regional Representative for Europe and Central Asia and the project Budget Holder, REU; the direct technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer, REU and direct operational supervision of the National Programme Coordinator for Bosnia and Herzegovina; and in close cooperation with the members of the Project Task Force and collaboration with national and international consultants of the project, as well as with local authorities and other stakeholders, the Consultant will be responsible for the following duties.
- Support the Working Groups in the two target project sites in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina to prepare the Local Agriculture and Rural Development Plans and corresponding Action Plans. In particular:
- Lead the preparation of the analysis of the most relevant commodity value chains for each of the target project sites, which will be integrated into the Local Agriculture and Rural Development Plans;
- Elaborate recommendations to support sustainable development of relevant value chains;
- Provide inputs to the situational analysis prepared for the Local Agriculture and Rural Development Plans and review the draft and final documents;
- Provide inputs to the Action Plans of the Local Agriculture and Rural Development Plans (including recommendations to support sustainable development of relevant value chains) and review the draft and final documents.
- Develop a short concept on organizing awareness raising and promoting networking among the project stakeholders to promote establishment of community-led consortia along identified value chains. Support the establishment of the community-led consortia.
- Develop training materials and hold a training session on marketing of traditional or agricultural products in each of the two project sites.
- Develop training materials and hold a training session on how to design and formulate project proposals in each of the two project sites.
- Provide ongoing coaching and organize consultation days for the potential applicants (via phone or emails) to support formulation of project proposals.
- Organize, contribute and participate in relevant meetings, training sessions, workshops and events when and as required.
- Perform other duties related to the successful project implementation when and as required.
- Prepare mission reports after each mission.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Good communication, reporting and presentation skills.
- Ability to work and act under pressure and with discretion in multicultural environment.
- Ability to deal with stakeholders from a broad range of backgrounds.
- Demonstrate capacity to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time to meet goals in a high-pressure environment.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in economics, agribusiness, marketing, rural development, agriculture or related fields.
- At least 5 years of practical experience in rural development, value chain analysis and development, and small-scale investment projects.
- Good written and oral communication skills in English.
- National of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Knowledge of or experience in the project area is an asset. Project area include Una-Sana Canton and city of Bihac in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina