Psychosocial Counsellor (All Areas) - مرشد نفسي اجتماعي (كل المناطق)
Org. Setting and Reporting
The incumbent of this post reports to the Assistant Area Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Supervisor in Gaza and to Education Specialist (Guidance and Counselling) in SAR, through the head of the UNRWA installation to which s/he is assigned.Responsibilities
- Receives pupils / refugees with psychosocial and/or mental health needs and provides counselling and guidance individually, in groups or with families;
- Provides the identified pupils / refugees and their families with community and public mental health education and other primary prevention activities in line with Community Mental Health (CMH) guidelines and materials;
- Coordinates referral of identified pupils / refugees and/or their families to other services or agencies, as appropriate, in consultation with their supervisor;
- Conducts home visits and other community interventions, as may be required, to the identified pupils / refugees and their families according to CMH established standards;
- Participates in crisis intervention and/or emergency psychosocial activities, as assigned by the supervisor;
- Develops weekly, monthly, and yearly plans at the installation level in coordination with the installation head to which s/he is assigned;
- Submits regular reports of all counselling activities, overall workload and outcomes and regular reports of case list, discharge/discontinuity/referral of cases and critical and/ or risky incidents and protection issues concerning the welfare of the pupils/ refugees ensuring due confidentiality;
- Contributes to increasing awareness among UNRWA staff of psychological and mental health education and the rights of disadvantaged pupils/ refugees and their families;
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
(i) Professional and technical competencies related to the functions described in Paragraph 3
(ii) Ability to cope with multiple tasks effectively;
(iii) Knowledge of counselling theories, assessment and interventions;
(iv) Counselling assessment and practice skills (prevention, community, family, group and
(v) Knowledge of child development (educational and psychological);
(vi) Knowledge of ethical standards for professional practice;
(vii) Excellent communication and rapport building skills;
(viii) Ability to work in teams and form good, productive relationships with colleagues;
(iv) Proficiency in standard Agency computer applications;
A university degree from an accreditable institute in psychology, counselling or community mental health or related field.
¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿
At least two years’ experience in counselling, mental health or related activities is required.
¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿
Good command of written and spoken Arabic and English.
.¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be
followed by competency-based interview.
* Conditions of service:
- Limited Duration Contract Appointment for 3 years; including 1 year of probation period,
with the possibility of further extension, subject to the availability of funds, satisfactory
performance and continuing need.
Grade: Band D
Monthly basic salary: 638.70 USD
Other benefits include:
• Dependency allowances. (if applicable)
• 30 days of annual leave in addition to maternity, paternity and sick leaves, subjective to eligibility
- Candidates who are invited to a written test should submit their academic qualifications, employment certificates and other required documents, either before the date of the test, or on the day of the test. Failure to do so may entail disqualification from the recruitment process.
- ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿
- Candidates should also submit a statement of non-employment (3 copies) given that governmental, or joint sector employees cannot be appointed to UNRWA posts even if they have leave without pay permit.
- ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ 3 ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿.
- Candidates who succeed in the recruitment process and receive an offer of appointment to the respective post must submit a notification issued by GAPAR to the effect that they have reported to GAPAR and have filled the required forms for obtaining approval of competent government authorities.
- ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿:
- They should also submit the following:
• Statement of non-conviction (3 copies). ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿ 3
• Copy of personal ID. ¿¿¿¿ ¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿
Equivalency may apply for this post.
NB: Work experience alone or formal qualifications with no relevant work experience are not considered an acceptable combination.
* General information
1. This vacancy notice is open to internal and external candidates. As an Area post, only candidates who reside in Syria at the time of applications are eligible to apply. The Agency does not assume responsibilities nor support the issuance of work permits for those who has no legal documents to live in Syria;
2. Preference will be given to registered Palestine refugees and candidates assisting the Agency to meet its commitment to gender parity. UNRWA welcomes applications from qualified candidates with disabilities;
3. UNRWA is committed to achieving gender parity at all levels of staffing under the current UN-wide gender agenda and strongly encourages applications from qualified women;
4. A roster may be created from the selection exercise, and successful candidates may become eligible for appointment to the same post or a similar post;
5. Only applications that have been fully completed in UNRWA’s online e-recruitment system inspira will be considered and no late applications will be accepted. The PHP should be completed with full relevant work experience under the experience tabs as per the requirements in the Job Opening. All acquired university degrees must also be stated, if applicable. Applicants applying to positions for Grades 12 to 20 must submit a cover letter/motivational statement in order to be considered. Additionally, providing incorrect or misleading information on an application will result in the immediate disqualification of a candidate;
6. For UNRWA internal staff, they are required to specify and include their current UNRWA grade level. To do so applicants should select under “Category” RLG, scroll down to see all categories, then select their local grade.
7. Advertisements published only in English will only accept applications in English, and Arabic submissions will not be considered.
8. The Agency may disqualify applicants whose name appears on the UN Sanctions List or a UN database of staff separated for reason of misconduct or of staff who separated whilst misconduct processes were pending.
9. UNRWA shares investigation and misconduct information with other UN Agencies, and past and prospective employers, about staff members who have been separated for misconduct, or who have separated whilst an investigation and/or disciplinary process for misconduct is underway; and such persons may be prohibited from employment with the United Nations.
10. The Agency will immediately disqualify applicants who are ineligible for any reason in accordance with the Agency regulatory framework.
11. UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states, regional bodies, business foundations and individual contributions. The mission of UNRWA is to help Palestine refugees achieve their full potential in human development under the difficult circumstances in which they live;
12. Please ensure that the e-mail address and mobile phone number that you have written in your Personal History Form are accurate and active. Your status in relation to the vacancy will be communicated to you only via the email listed on your Personal History Form;
13. UNRWA welcomes applications from qualified candidates with disabilities;
14. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply;
15. For more information please visit the website, http//: inspira.un.org.
United Nations Considerations
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Commissioner-General of UNRWA and to assignment by him or her.
UNRWA is committed to achieving gender parity at all levels of staffing under the current UN-wide gender agenda and strongly encourages applications from qualified applicants from under-represented groups.
At UNRWA, the paramount consideration in the recruitment and employment of staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity, with due regard to geographic diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications and organizational needs. UNRWA is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. Reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities may be provided to support participation in the recruitment process when requested and indicated in the application.
UNRWA staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of efficiency, competence, neutrality, impartiality and integrity. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs. Candidates will not be considered for employment with UNRWA if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment. The Agency may disqualify applicants who have separated for reason of misconduct, who left a UN Agency while misconduct processes were pending, or who appear on the UN Sanctions List.
UNRWA is a non-smoking work environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.