Zimbabwe | Zambia
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the position of Assistant Research Associate to be based in Harare, Zimbabwe or Lusaka, Zambia. This position will support on-going mechanization research activities in Zimbabwe and collaborating projects in the Southern Africa region.
- Provide technical support to mechanization and irrigation service providers and local manufacturers
- Prepare machinery and establish and monitor on-farm and on-station mechanization and irrigation trials and demonstrations
- Collect technical, agronomic, business, and survey data as per protocols and instructions provided
- Fabricate, test, and modify farm machinery or spare parts as per design and instructions provided
- Operate, repair, and maintain farm machinery and irrigation equipment, R4D workshop machinery, and engines
- Conduct training of farmers, mechanization service providers, and manufacturers on operation, repair, trouble shooting, maintenance, and fabrication of farm machinery and irrigation equipment
- Assist project and CIMMYT management in any other matters as and when required.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Diploma in Agricultural/Mechanical/Automobile Engineering or related field with two years of relevant work experience or Certificate Course in Mechanical/Automotive Engineering/Boiler Mechanics or related field with five years of relevant work experience.
- Experience working in agricultural machinery company or mechanization project would be essential.
- Understand, operate, repair, and maintain engines, farm machinery, and irrigation equipment.
- Able to use/operate common workshop machinery/tools and fabricate/modify farm machinery.
- Experience in assessment of farm machinery, establishment of on-station and on-farm mechanization trials, data collection, and organizing field days is highly desired.
- Experienced in conducting technical training of farmers, service providers, and manufacturers.
- Ability to work with different nationalities, as a member of a diverse work team
- The selected candidate must be able to demonstrate the following competencies: Problem Solving, Critical Thinking, Communication and Team Work.
How to apply
- Complete the online application form https://forms.gle/82nMNgctk22geew26
- Submit your applications to the following e-mail address: [email protected] Cover Letter should refer explicitly to the essential qualifications, skills, and competencies stated above providing clear and concrete examples of where, when, and how the experience was gained and expected remuneration. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. The closing date for receipt of applications is 20th May 2022. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.