ICT Senior Manager (Business Analytics)
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
The New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.
Based in New York, the UNOPS Sustainable Development Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
UNOPS has signed an agreement with the United Nations to implement the project activities in support of UNSOS Business Intelligence and Analytics and is in the process of expanding services in support of Data Strategy Implementation.
The United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) is mandated to provide a broad variety of administrative and logistical support services to its clients, the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM), the United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM), the Somali National Army (SNA), and a few others. Moreover, Resolution 2472 (2019) adopted by the Security Council on 31 May 2019 established the continued UNSOS provisioning of logistical and financial support and for making oversight and accountability a cornerstone of the partnership between the United Nations, African Union and the Federal Government of Somalia.
SG Compact report with UNSOS for Year 2022 includes an area specifically related with the implementation of the SG Data Strategy within the mission, UNSOS is requested to make progress in the operationalization of the UN-wide data strategy by defining entity-specific action plans; changing of profiles in staffing tables, recruiting data related profiles, changing organizational design, investing in data training; engaging in data governance, building new partnerships and mobilizing data related resources.
UNSOS BI team in Nairobi and Mogadishu have the following objectives and end state:
● Support to ATMIS and SSF (as required) to enable capacity development in line with the new mandate.
● Strengthen UNSOM support to enhance linkages/cohesion with UNSOS and to make informed decisions.
● Improve visibility of UNSOS end-to-end processes to support the achievement of UNSOS strategic goals.● Manage the development and monitoring of all UNSOS related Compact reports and support the transition of UNSOS to the new mission.
● Consolidation of data sets and related reports to facilitate navigation and data consumption by business users.
● Leverage newly implemented FRIM system to automatically monitor different processes with data collected using sensors.
● Usage of Microsoft Azure Cloud technology to automate the data transformation processes and improve control of BI related processes.
● Increase usage of existing BI reports across the mission by enhancing communication of BI activities and latest developments
The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Senior Programme Manager or designated officer and within delegated authority, the incumbent will directly report to the Business Analytics Lead and work with UNSOS teams and will be required to perform the following duties.
Summary of key functions and duties:
- Project Planning and Management
- Business Intelligence and Data Analytics
- Training and Technical Support
1. Project Planning and Management
- Lead the implementation of Microsoft Azure Cloud Technology to improve and automate the data transformation processes and improve control of BI related processes.
- Manage day to day operations and additional front loading preparatory technical and business process re-engineering and integration;
- Coordinate and lead business and scope analysis, gathering of requirements and documentation, preliminary system analysis, data cleansing and enrichment, migration, and change management initiatives;
- Lead the planning, execution and monitoring of Project Management activities;
- Work as UNOPS focal point on the ground;
- Contribute to the tracking and reporting times and efforts invested on the assigned tasks;
- Lead a team of BI staff in the development of recommendations based on data analysis, independent root cause analysis conducted with key stakeholders/business process owners. Produce timely and actionable information which helps drive business results and guide decision making processes. Devise and promote effective analytic models and creative data visualization to derive actionable intelligence;
- Provide advice to the Chief of Section and other stakeholders on matter related to Business Intelligence and Business Analytics;
- Provide leadership in developing, deploying, and managing mission support management's data collection and analytics-based reporting solutions to provide actionable intelligence to mission senior management team and to mission support unit and section chiefs;
- Provide technical expertise and leadership support to the implementation of BI strategy and roadmap for implementing UNSOS analytics and business intelligence capability to include elements such as the delivery of standard and ad hoc reports, dashboards, and trending based on an increased collection and cleansing method for mission support and mandate implementation data;
- Interact with, support, and consult with all UNSOS Pillars' Sections /Units to define key performance indicators, standard and ad-hoc reports that enable business decision;
- Contribute to the development of business rules, guidelines, standard operating procedures and formulate user requirements for IT systems in support of materials management and supply chain activities;
- Gather requirements from various stakeholders and process owners to define specific business requirements for the end-to-end Supply Chain performance management. Development and promulgate of Business Intelligence Guidance and Procedures and monitor compliance. Promote continuous improvement and innovation in the area of Supply Chain Performance Management;
- Provide technical SAP and Power BI expertise to establishing and modernizing the Mission’s Business Intelligence and analytics strategy and operating model;
- Assess Business Intelligence (BI) training needs; identify, design and coordinate the delivery of BI training programs to staff at all levels;
- Provide end user training and documentation, as required;
- Lead the creation of technical documentation;
IMPACT OF RESULTS
The expected impact will be an enhanced, efficient solutions as part of overall data strategy and other related BI deliverables for UNSOS.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
● Advanced University degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) preferably in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Management Sciences, Business Administration or in a field related to the post description.
● A first level university degree (Bachelor's degree) in a field related to the post description with additional 2 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
● Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience in any of the following areas: business intelligence, analytics, management, business process reengineering or ICT areas;
● Minimum 2 years of working experience with SAP or any other Enterprise Resource Planning tool;
● Minimum 2 years of experience in the delivery of Business Intelligence solutions using Power BI, SAP BI, Tableau or any other modern analytic tools.
● PRINCE 2 foundation certification;
● Experience in defining and documenting system requirements;
● Experience in multinational working environment;
● Experience in organizing and delivering training in the area of business intelligence.
● For this job opening, fluency in English (speak, write, read) is required.
● Knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract level: P4
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.