ICT Associate (Business Intelligence)
Background Information - Job-specific
* THIS IS A LOCAL POSITION FOR WHICH ONLY APPLICANTS WHO ARE SOMALI CITIZENS OR APPLICANTS WHO POSSESS A VALID RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMIT IN SOMALIA ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION*
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
The New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management
The Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners' programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
UNOPS has signed an agreement with the United Nations to implement the project activities for the Technical Support for UNSOS Business Process Improvement and Innovation.
The United Nations Support Office for Somalia (UNSOS) is mandated to provide administrative and logistics support to its partners in implementing United Nations Security council resolution on Somalia.
The Performance Management Section (PMS) in the Supply Chain Management Service (SCMS) focuses on assisting internal clients and implementation partners to achieve high quality mandate results through an integrated approach that links results-based management and performance monitoring with a more effective and new ways of working by enabling data and insight driven decision making. The Performance Management Section (PMS) acts as the hub for all aspect of the missions Business Intelligence efforts including BI requirement development, data sourcing, modeling, visualization and reporting.
The ICT Associate (Business Intelligence) will provide support to African Transition Mission in Somalia (ATMIS), Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and Somalia Security Forces (SSF) to enable capacity development in line with the new mandate by developing Business Intelligence (BI) products, delivering BI related training and strengthening Business Intelligence capacity.
The ICT Associate (Business Intelligence) will provide support to the implementation of BI strategy and roadmap for implementing UNSOS analytics and business intelligence capability to include elements such as the delivery of standard and ad hoc reports, dashboards, and trending based on an increased collection and cleansing method for mission support and mandate implementation data.
The ICT Associate (Business Intelligence) will also support in developing, deploying, and managing mission support management's data collection and analytics-based reporting solutions to provide actionable intelligence to mission senior management team and to mission support unit and section chiefs.
The ICT Associate (Business Intelligence) is expected to extract, transform and load data (ETL) from different enterprise systems required to refresh Business Intelligence products as per the agreed schedule.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the ICT Associate (Business Intelligence) will work under the direct guidance of the Chief Business Intelligence Unit (BIU) in the Performance Management Section of UNSOS Supply Chain Pillar. The ICT Associate (Business Intelligence) will administratively report UNOPS Business Analytics Specialist Lead and will perform the following tasks:
● Contribute to business and scope analysis, gathering of requirements and documentation, preliminary system analysis, data cleansing and enrichment, migration, and change management initiatives
● Build procedures to extract, transform and load data (ETL) from different enterprise systems required to refresh Business Intelligence products as per the agreed schedule.
● Support data analysis such as:
- Assist with the development and testing of Business Intelligence reports in different areas.
- Review UNSOS Business intelligence datasets for quality, completion and accuracy.
- Monitor and review dashboards to identify and resolve issues in timely and accurate manner.
- Review existing internal data collection and monitoring processes and help the unit in the development of process improvement to enhance overall data quality.
- Support the unit in the establishment and improvement of standards and strategies for data management, lifecycle, and quality.
● Participate in the organization, preparation and delivery of both certified and focused functional business intelligence training workshops to ATMIS, FGS and FSS.
● Other tasks and responsibilities relevant to the scope of work as assigned.
Impact of Results
The ICT Associate (Business Intelligence) will support the analytics and data strategy aspects of UNSOS performance management initiatives.
The effective and successful achievement of key results by the ICT Associate (Business Intelligence) directly affect the overall efficiency of the office’s provision of services impacting the quality and accuracy of work completed. Timely and accountable delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and promotes the image and credibility of the team and office as an effective service provider in strategic services.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
● Meetings with supervisor and feedback as necessary.
* FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
● High school diploma or equivalent is required
● A University degree (Bachelor’s or Master’s) or technical diploma in Applied Mathematics, Electronics, Statistics, Computer Science, Information Systems /Technology, Engineering or related field is an asset and may substitute for some of the required years of experience.
● A minimum of six (6) years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of ICT, Electronics, Information Systems, or other related fields is required.
● A minimum 2 years of experience building data reports or performing data analysis.
● Working experience with SAP or any other Enterprise Resource Planning tool.
● Working with data visualization and reporting tools (for example, Microsoft Power BI or Tableau)
● Experience is supply chain or related areas.
● English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
● For the position advertised, fluency in English (speak, write, read) is required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Sustainable Development Cluster
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.