Internal Communications Officer
New York City
Marketing & Mobilization (M&M) is a dynamic team that is tasked with building the IRC’s global profile and brand, increasing private revenue from deeper donor engagement and partnerships, and influencing our target audiences. The team is responsible for all of IRC’s brand, communications, creative and content and digital engagement efforts.
Gender Equality Diversity, and inclusion (GEDI) is a global organizational priority and a vital part of our Strategy100. The Senior Communications Officer will play a pivotal role in engaging, informing and inspiring IRC’s 15,000+ staff across 40 countries around our GEDI progress and initiatives.
In this role, you will conceive, develop and drive our GEDI-related internal global communications initiatives. With a focus on storytelling and relationship building, you'll make the most of multiple internal channels to effectively connect with employees throughout the world. You're also an excellent writer and communicator; are highly strategic about messaging, timing, and communications channels; are goal-oriented and an outstanding collaborator - gaining partnership and collaboration from others at all levels. If you are someone who understands how strategic internal communications can drive both organizational needs and culture, then this is an outstanding role for you. You will be a member of the Marketing and Mobilization team and report to the global Internal Communications Director, but work closely with the GEDI leadership team.
- In partnership with the GEDI team’s leadership, design and drive an annual internal communications plan to implement the GEDI Unit's vision and reach all levels of the organization.
- Work with the IRC GEDI Council (communication Committee) and Internal Communications Director (who sits on the Council) to ensure the Council’s activities are communicated to relevant partners in a timely and coherent manner.
- Connect, inform and inspire our global employee audience, with a particular focus on our global DEI efforts.
- Be responsible for crafting GEDI communications campaigns in support of our organization's priorities – participating in the process from conception and implementation to measurement and key insights.
- Analyze current GEDI-related internal communication channels and content, review and improve overall quality and impact.
- Co-own the GEDI-related Equality area on the IRC intranet, RescueNet, and supervise the DEI communications and Equality email inboxes.
- Collate and distribute the monthly all-staff GEDI Digest newsletter, distributed in four languages.
- Cultivate strong internal relationships and partnerships throughout the organization as well as with third party vendors.
- Provide support to the GEDI team in developing communication content and material for different audiences.
- Collaborate closely with key GEDI partners across all IRC regions and countries to ensure all updates are collected and provide communications counsel as appropriate
- Provide overall support to the internal communications team, ensuring a GEDI lens is applied to internal communications content.
- Research, write and publish GEDI-related stories and videos for RescueNet and other key internal communications channels (key newsletters, regular communications to managers etc.)
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned, to support the global internal communications with its overall agenda.
- Approximately 5 years’ experience in internal/corporate communications or marketing or public relations/journalism. Focus on employee engagement, particularly with a diversity, equality and inclusion lens, preferred.
- Consistent record of implementing communications campaigns that are creative and engaging and generate positive impact for an organization.
- Strong communications and employee engagement experience, particularly in a humanitarian organization setting and with multi-cultural, international audiences.
- Outstanding writing, editing and proofreading skills, as well as the journalistic ability to source stories from employees.
- Creative editorial and visual storytelling skills, beyond listing facts and details.
- Tech savvy person with proven skills using digital and video communications and eagerness to pick up new tools quickly. Intranet and video-editing experience is also helpful.
- Networking and relationship-building skills to collaborate inside and outside the organization.
- Experience operating in a fast-paced environment and easily adjusting when required.
- Highly organized, with strong time management skills.
Preferred experience & skills:
· Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite.
· Proven ability to work effectively with colleagues at all levels.
· Ability to handle and work through change in a proactive and positive manner.
· Good knowledge of French and/or Arabic is desirable but not required.
- This position can be based at IRC’s headquarters in New York, or remotely within the United States but working to eastern time zone working hours.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, Egalite, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.
We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.#LI_GR1