TCND Consultant/ Supporting the Digital Transformation including Digital ID Programme of the Digital Centre of Excellence
Result of Service
An advisory and consultancy service with a clear and concise strategy for supporting the digital Transformation of Botswana in Smartbot, Digital ID and Lobu Smart Farm Projects in close collaboration with all the stakeholders involving in the mentioned projects.Work Location
7 months starting from the date of the signature of the contract.Duties and Responsibilities
Botswana aims to take advantage of the opportunities presented by the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) and move the country towards a Knowledge Based Economy (KBE), leaving no one behind. The 4IR requires the digital transformation of everything - from the way we live, work, and learn to how we interact. To support this, Botswana has developed a 4IR Digital Transformation Strategy (SmartBots) to drive digital transformation across the economy, government, and society. SmartBots is an action plan that delivers a smart sustainable society aligned with the 2036 National Vision of transforming the nation from an upper-middle-income to high-income country while supporting the development of a digital economy in line with the UN SDGs.
In October 2020, the Government of Botswana approved the implementation of the Digital Transformation/4IR Strategy for the country. This strategy, known as SmartBots, seeks to catapult economic development and diversification through digitalization. The strategy is based upon the following three key strategic objectives and pertains to three digital transformation projects: SmartBots Lab, SIM-less Digital ID and Lobu SmartFarm:
• SmartBots Lab: The implementation of the SmartBots plan entails adopting a transversal approach to transform the public sector, and thus enable it to efficiently provide services to citizens and businesses. The strategy also places great emphasis on the engagement of the innovation ecosystem including public, private and community partnerships in charting the successful implementation of the SmartBots priorities and initiatives.
• SIM-less Digital ID: The SIM-less digital identity concept is aimed at advancing the currently operational OMANG national identity system by integrating state of the art digital identity framework. To do so, the initiative will explore currently functional good and efficient global and regional identity systems from countries that are potentially replicable to the case of Botswana. In addition, the initiative aspires to ensure effective legal and regulatory frameworks for privacy and data protection are in place for the migration to digital identity system as well ensuring interoperability and trust framework s for the seamless functionality of the digital ID.
• Lobu Smart Farm: The focus of the Smart farm development in Lobu stems from advancing the practice of small stock animal farming supported by current and relevant technologies for advancing productivity. Some of these technologies will make use of IOTs such as drones, sensors and remote monitoring tools and systems. This will be combined with capacity development and technical support for procurement of key technological inputs, development of a smart learning system as well as monitoring of farm performance. The core objective of this initiative is to create a replicable smart farm model for small stock farming that is widely practiced in the area. The implementation will be carried out in partnership with IFAD, who have extensive expertise in the technical aspects of this form of animal farming system in Botswana and elsewhere.
2. Duties and responsibilities of the consultant
Under the guidance of the Director of Technology, Climate Change & Natural Resource Management Division (TCND) and the supervision of the Chief of the Technology and Innovation Section, the Consultant will perform the following tasks:
• Details of Major Responsibilities to Support the Digital Transformation in Botswana
o Support and advise local and International consultants engaged in Smartbot, Digital ID and Lobu Smart Farm projects.
o In collaboration with the local and the international consultants, identify and list all the required labs and equipment for the Smartbot, Digital ID and Lobu Smart farm projects.
o Support and advice the Establishment and implementation of a governance model using technology to engage and better serve citizens’ needs
o Support and advise the formation and establishment of the Smart class room for the Lobu Smart farm
o Identify and play a key role for the implementation of appropriate IoT and sensor technologies for the Lobu Smart Farm
o Provide an in-depth evaluation of the documents that will be produced by the local and international consultants of the three projects and stipulate an appropriate feedback
o Maintain a close relationship with the responsible stake holders of the Smartbot, Digital ID and Lobu Smart Farm projects to fully materialize the anticipated missions, visions and objectives of the projects.
o Give an appropriate feedbacks and recommendations for the SmartBots governance framework which is going to be stipulated by the consultants.
o Provide an advisory strategy and recommendations to fully operationalize the African Research Centre for Artificial Intelligence in Congo Brazzaville.
o Actively participate and engage in the different tasks of the Technology and Innovation section of UNECA
o Engage and provide professional support whenever requested by the chief of the Technology and Innovation section of UNECA
Academic Qualifications: Advanced University degree (Ph. D or equivalent) in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Information Communication Technology or related field or other relevant area is required. A Bachelor's degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Information Communication Technology or related field of studies with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Experience: A minimum of 10 years of work experience in teaching, research and Industry Proven capacity to work with different methods of data analysis is required.
Computer-savvy with a working knowledge of Microsoft office, and ability to interact and communicate within a team and with clients is an desirable.
Demonstrated substantive experience in making proposals market analyse and an in-depth knowledge and understanding of innovation concepts, systems and its application in the economic system is an desirable.
Language: English and French are the working language of the United Nations. For the consultancy advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of the other language is desirable.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.