Business Support Assistant/ Logistics, G4
JOB TITLE: Business Support Assistant/ Logistics, G4
Number of openings: 02
Contract Type: Service Contract (SC)
Post holder reports to: Sr. Logistics Associate
Contract Duration: 1 Year
Duty Station (City, Country): Monrovia, Liberia
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters, and the impact of climate change.
Our response to emergencies - saving lives and livelihoods either through direct assistance or by strengthening country capacities – remains at the heart of our operations, especially as humanitarian needs become increasingly complex and protracted, such as those brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic.
ORGANISATIONAL CONTEXT & BACKGROUND OF THE ASSIGNMENT
Assisting almost 100 million people in 83 countries each year, WFP is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies, and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP’s response to emergencies - saving lives and livelihoods either through direct assistance, or by strengthening country capacities – remains at the heart of its operations, especially as humanitarian needs become increasingly complex and protracted, such as those brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic.
This position is in the WFP Liberia Country Office under the Health Supply Chain unit. The Business Support Assistant will support the implementation of a bilateral service provision operation in Liberia. This is a nationwide, high-profile operation and in line with key global initiatives such as ’The Grand Bargain’, ’Delivering as One’ and the ’SDG 17 Partnership for the Goals’. The service will be funded by the Global Fund under the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria (GFATM) on the behalf of the Ministry of Health.
The Global Fund is a major investor in the health sector in Liberia and will be taking over the responsibility involving medicines and other health products delivery in support of the Ministry of Health in Liberia. The Global Fund identified WFP as the supply chain partner for the role of 4PL and the provision of long haul and last-mile transport services of medicines and health supplies across the country in support of the Ministry of Health of Liberia.
WFP is in charge of overseeing and managing the long-haul transport and last-mile delivery of pharmaceutical products in support of the Ministry of Health’s in-country health supply chain and will support any related capacity strengthening initiatives with a view to meeting the project objectives and all aspects of the scope of work. The Business Support Assistant for Logistics (Transport) will report to the WFP Health Supply Chain coordinator.
- Provide support to logistics operations and activities (e.g., perform loading operations, tracking of trucks, compliance of deliveries to sites), following standard processes and facilitating, directly or indirectly, the effective delivery of medicines and other health products;
- Be the focal point for field tracking of deliveries at county, hospitals, health facilities levels; provide feedback to the central levels; ensure movements at right time, right conditions, and right place;
- Support timely response to a request for loading and delivery of medicines and health supplies to authorized destinations;
- Certify the number and content of packages against the information on the loading authorizations;
- Certify the types of products and quantities loaded on trucks for delivery to different destinations
- Certify conditions of the trucks before loading to ensure that minimum requirements are met to keep medicines and other health products in good conditions during transportation;
- Support management of logistics vendors’ contracting activities, including performance monitoring and measurement;
- Respond to a variety of technical queries/requests for support, following standard processes, and obtaining guidance as required, to ensure timely and accurate resolution of all enquiries with a high standard of client service mind-set;
- Assist in management of Relief Items Tracking System (RITA) for data quality and integrity;
- Support operational assessments and operational planning for all delivery modalities;
- Process documentation for the execution of logistics operations (e.g., transport documents, invoice verification), take appropriate actions to resolve operational issues escalating various issues to the supervisor;
- Collect and compile data, produce and/or contribute to reports (e.g. trucks movements, deliveries, losses, transport performance) and ensure information accuracy in corporate systems in support to informed decision-making;
- Maintain an appropriate filing system and archiving of documents so that they can be retrieved quickly and efficiently as needed;
- Perform other related functions as required.
- Four or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream.
- Any relevant experience in medical activities would be an added value.
- General understanding of logistics and supply chain processes;
- Ability to collate, analyze data and drafting reports.
- Excellent communication skills to collaborate with a wide range of individuals in order to provide comprehensive support service provision.
- Good knowledge of Windows, Word and Excel software
- A high sense of confidentiality.
- Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- Excellent knowledge of English
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Friday, 27 May 2022
All employment decisions are made based on organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.