Sr. Logistics Associate
JOB TITLE: Sr. Logistics Associate, G7
Number of openings: 01
Contract Type: Service Contract (SC)
Post holder reports to: Head of Health Supply Chain
Contract Duration: 1 Year
Duty Station (City, Country): Monrovia, Liberia
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters, and the impact of climate change.
Our response to emergencies - saving lives and livelihoods either through direct assistance or by strengthening country capacities – remains at the heart of our operations, especially as humanitarian needs become increasingly complex and protracted, such as those brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic.
ORGANISATIONAL CONTEXT & BACKGROUND OF THE ASSIGNMENT
Assisting almost 100 million people in 83 countries each year, WFP is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies, and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP’s response to emergencies - saving lives and livelihoods either through direct assistance, or by strengthening country capacities – remains at the heart of its operations, especially as humanitarian needs become increasingly complex and protracted, such as those brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic.
This position is in the WFP Liberia Country Office under the Health Supply Chain unit. The Sr. LOGISTICS ASSOCIATE will support the launch and implementation of a bilateral service provision operation in Liberia. This is a nationwide, high-profile operation and in line with key global initiatives such as ’The Grand Bargain’, ’Delivering as One’ and the ’SDG 17 Partnership for the Goals’. The service will be funded by the Global Fund under the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM) on the behalf of the Ministry of Health.
The Global Fund is a major investor in the health sector in Liberia and will be taking over the responsibility involving medicines and other health products delivery in support of the Ministry of Health in Liberia. The Global Fund identified WFP as the supply chain partner for a role of 4PL and provision of long haul and last-mile transport services of medicines and health supplies across the country in support of the Ministry of Health of Liberia.
WFP is in charge of overseeing and managing the long-haul transport and last-mile delivery of pharmaceutical products in support of the Ministry of Health’s in-country health supply chain and will support any related capacity strengthening initiatives with a view to meeting the project objectives and all aspects of the scope of work. The LOGISTICS ASSOCIATE will report to the WFP Head of Health Supply Chain.
- Contribute towards the development of the project’s operational/logistics plans and processes ensuring compliance with wider logistics policies and WFP standards;
- In close liaison with the Head of Supply Chain, ensure contracting of Transport and Associated Logistics Services required for the activities of the supply chain of medical and other health items;
- Be the focal point for coordination of consolidation and preparation of transport/delivery planning, implementation, and the management of related logistics aspects, including assessing transport readiness for deliveries from the central medical store to county depots, hospitals, and health facilities, loading and discharging operations, warehouse/storage capacity at the delivery destinations and any relevant operational/logistics-related services;
- Prepare and monitor the implementation of the Allocation Plan according to committed truck capacity by each transport service provider as approved by the contracting authority;
- Monitoring and evaluating the performance of logistics service providers;
- Assess all other risks associated with the transportation and propose optimal risk mitigation mechanisms;
- Collate data and contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on the project’s operational activities that enable consistency of information presented to stakeholders;
- Coordinate with WFP transport contractors, the teams on the ground as well as with the operations team at the CO on all transport/delivery/distribution-related activities to ensure an integrated approach to the operation;
- Participate in the review of internal processes and procedures of the operation and identify ways to increase the day-to-day efficiencies;
- Ensure close follow up of delivery activities carried out by WFP transporters for on-time delivery of products and the traceability of trucks during deliveries;
- In collaboration with the WFP security unit, ensure road and security conditions before and during deliveries to minimize risks;
- Manage logistics vendors’ contracting activities including performance monitoring and measurement;
- Contribute to the preparation, monitoring, and review of the budget by ensuring adherence to the procedures in place;
- Take required action in WFP corporate system for funds commitments and transport and logistics services related invoices;
- Supervise the tasks of the support staff and give the necessary support to ensure effective individual and teamwork within the given deadlines;
- Collaborate with a wide range of individuals to understand business needs and respond efficiently;
- Maintain an appropriate filing system and archiving of documents so that they can be retrieved quickly and efficiently as needed;
- Perform other related functions as required.
- Six or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with a background and interest in international humanitarian response;
- Relevant experience in medical activities with an overall understanding of specific requirements in transportation and handling of medical items, would be an added value;
- In-depth knowledge of common business principles and processes, practical business support methods, procedures, and systems used in the area of work, gained through specialized training and work experience;
- General understanding of logistics and supply chain processes in a humanitarian environment (e.g., check stock availability, perform loading operations, tracking of trucks, comply with deliveries to sites);
- Ability to manage contracts for Logistics related service providers and all related information;
- Excellent communication skills to collaborate with a wide range of individuals to provide comprehensive support service provision;
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and monitor budgets;
- Ability to carry out complex data analysis to identify process improvements;
- Experience in supervising, supporting, and/or training others, as well as coordinating resources and organizing own work;
- Ability to assert opinions and persuade others by developing logical and well-reasoned arguments;
- Good knowledge of Windows, Word, and Excel software;
- Ability to work to compressed timeframes;
- A high sense of confidentiality.
- Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- Excellent knowledge of English
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Friday, 27 May 2022
All employment decisions are made based on organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.