MLPP 2022_Programme Specialist (Natural Sciences)
Post Number : MLPP 2022_4KZSC0001RP
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Almaty
Job Family: Natural Sciences
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 18-JULY-2022
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
This position is part of the Mid-Level Professionals Programme (MLPP).
We strongly encourage applicants from non- and under-represented Member States to apply.
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General, Natural Sciences (ADG/SC), and direct supervision of the Director of the UNESCO Almaty Office, the Programme Specialist (Natural Sciences) will assist the Member States of Almaty Custer Office (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan) in the preparation, execution and monitoring, as well as in the follow-up of UNESCO programmes and activities in the field of Natural Sciences notably in terrestrial environmental, water sciences, and disaster vulnerability and risks management.Long Description
In particular, the incumbent will:
- Coordinate and monitor development and implementation of programme and projects in the areas of Natural Sciences including the Ecological and Earth Sciences, the Man and Biosphere Programme (MAB), , the International Geoscience and Geoparks Programme (IGGP) the International Hydrological Programme (IHP) and the Policy and Capacity building, the International Basic Sciences Programme (IBSP). Contribute to the planning, designing, coordination and implementation of activities in the Region through cooperation with the relevant UN Specialized Agencies represented in Asia.
- Promote UNESCO Almaty Office’s and Asian Regional inter-disciplinary / multi-disciplinary team efforts, particularly in the fields of climate change, disaster risk reduction and local and indigenous knowledge.
- Maintain strategic partnerships with other UN Agencies, particularly the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), and Multilateral and Bilateral Development partners in order to foster opportunities for joint programming activities related to Natural Sciences, within the context of UN Reform, Common Country Assessments (CCAs), and UN development models.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Communication (C) Accountability (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) Professionalism (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced University degree (Master's or equivalent) in the field of natural sciences.
- Minimum of four (4) years of relevant professional experience in the field of water science, hydrology and ecological science, of which preferably (two) 2 years acquired at international level.
- In-depth experience in development projects and in research and technical training in natural sciences.
- Track record in resource mobilization, partnership development and communication.
- Proven ability to prepare high quality and high impact technical documents and reports in natural sciences.
- Good knowledge of UNESCO’s work, and familiarity with Natural Sciences Sector activities would be an asset.
- Knowledge of the geopolitical context of the region would be an asset.
- Ability to provide specialized and technical advice.
- Ability in planning and setting up training courses.
Skills & Competencies
- Capacity to build and maintain effective working relations with national/local authorities, relevant institutions, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Proven ability to communicate and negotiate effectively and persuasively (orally and in writing) with various stakeholders at all levels, within and outside the organization.
- Demonstrating fund-raising and resource mobilization abilities.
- Ability to supervise staff and teams and to maintain effective working relations in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
- Good working knowledge of Russian is an asset.
- Knowledge of other UNESCO official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French or Spanish) is an asset.
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.