Island Community Associate (Nanumea Island, Tuvalu) (NPSA7)
UNDP recognizes the importance of proper engagement of the populations that the project serves, with a special attention to vulnerable groups. A Stakeholder Engagement Plan have been drawn up, as well as Gender and Communication Strategy and Action Plans.
In the light of the distances and attendant transaction costs between the capital city Funafuti and the two outer islands where components 2 and 3 of the project will focus its efforts, and the complexities of socio-cultural island contexts, it has been recommended to engage local island community associates. The community associates will be fully aware of the specific social, institutional and cultural contexts, and will be able to liaise directly with all relevant stakeholders and assist in the implementation of the project on this island through the effective roll out of the project stakeholders and gender strategies.
In this regard, the position will assist the TCAP Project Management Unit (PMU) in overseeing the project activities as well as the capacity building initiatives focusing on the Kaupule leadership which is an essential aspect of the strategy and engagement of the community to monitor, evaluate and communicate results and impacts of the coastal protection adaptation investments.
The successful candidate will be working under the Project Managers (who are based at the TCAP Office in Funafuti). Supervision will be given by the International and National Project Managers, Communication Officer, Capacity Development officer, Gender specialist, UNDP/TCAP engineer specialist, and Safeguard specialist. Collaboration will be expected with other PMU officers for Safeguards, M&E, Communication and Gender.
- To support the implementation of the TCAP project activities on Nanumaga Island Or Nanumea Island,
- To facilitate TCAP engagement and on-going liaison effectively and efficiently with the communities of Nanumaga Island or Nanumea Island, and
- Liaise between the Contractor, the TCAP PMU and the local authorities (Kaupule) and communities to facilitate the mobilisation of the Contractor.
The position will support the delivery of Outputs 2 and 3 and will be required to perform the following tasks and supervise the following deliverables:
- To engage with communities and facilitate their understanding and involvement in the implementation of TCAP’s coastal protection investments,
- To liaise between the contractor(s), the TCAP team and the Kaupule to ensure that safeguards are met, and community is effectively involved and can communicate to the contractor(s), and
- To facilitate liaison and groundwork for all other components of the TCAP project (training, consultation, gender, communication, monitoring, etc.).
The expected outputs of the position are:
Engagement with communities and facilitation of their understanding and involvement in the implementation of TCAP’s coastal protection investments:
- Liaise with decision-makers, community groups, special interest groups and community at large to keep them informed of the status of the project and gain their input/feedback,
- Facilitate all interactions between the project team and the island community, and
- When required, provide on-the-ground information to assist in the setting up and preparation works.
Liaison between the Contractor, the TCAP PMU and the Kaupule to ensure that safeguards are met, and community is effectively involved:
- Provide a point of contact between the contractor(s) and the local community’s decision makers, and maintain social interactions between contractor, TCAP and community,
- Assist the contractor in understanding the social, cultural, environmental context of the island, and ensure cultural sensitivities such as religious holidays, festivals, events (e.g. funerals, weddings) are conveyed to the project team/contractor as well as any unanticipated ways the works may hinder local way of life (e.g. road block, water supply routes, etc.),
- Monitor that all social and environmental commitments from the contractors and safeguards are being implemented,
- Assist Kaupule and Community in facilitating accommodation, provision of meals, internet, power issues, set-down, storage areas, etc., and
- Attend to any misunderstanding and raise any issues that may arise to the TCAP team.
Liaison and groundwork for all other components of the TCAP project (training, consultation, facilitation, etc.):
- Provide liaison and logistical support to all TCAP activities on the islands: training, consultation, liaison, communication, etc.
- Ensure that the most vulnerable groups, including women, youth and people living with a disability are always engaged in all activities of the project,
- Raise any issues that may arise in the implementation of the gender strategy and provide input into TCAP’s involvement with vulnerable groups,
- Provide input and raise any issues regarding cultural matters or protocols which are to be upheld,
- Assist the other PMU Officer in collating data as per the M&E plan,
- Provide accurate and timely reports on and documents all activities undertaken, in particular records of engagement and/or complaints, and
- Any other duties as reasonably requested by the Project Managers.
The position is expected to provide support and to deliver and implement the above Scope of Work which includes the following reports:
- Monthly reports on activities, stating engagement events, stakeholders engaged, outcomes achieved, with disaggregation of data by gender / vulnerable groups.
- When relevant, brief notes to TCAP project managers to raise issues of importance / significance happening in the community.
- In the absence of the Safeguards and Works Supervisor, support:
- Daily checklists/diary notes (including updates of construction process and changes to design or anticipated construction method),
- Weekly environmental checklist/report,
- Register of non-compliances and actions, and
- Register of complaints (grievance redress form, log, and follow-up)
- Contribution to Annual Performance Report as requested by Project, especially in the areas of stakeholders’ engagement and implementation of the gender strategy.
- End of the contract report (for integration into the project terminal review).
- Leadership - Proactively seeks and recognizes contributions of others
- Innovation - Adapts deliverables to meet client needs
- People Management - Appropriately involves team in different stages of work and decision-making
- Communication & Relationship Management - Expresses information and views with adaptive reasoning and appreciation for complexity and variation
- Delivery - Takes responsibility for addressing critical situations and delivering core value
- Demonstrated experience in advocating projects and programmes
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong reporting and writing abilities skills
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback
- Ability to plan, organize, implement and report on work
- Ability in the use of office IT applications and internetDemonstrates integrity and ethical standards
- Positive, constructive attitude to work
- Preferably, to be a resident of Nanumaga Island or Nanumea Island
- Successful completion of secondary education however a bachelor’s degree in management, social sciences, environment, geography marine science or related field is desirable
- In addition to a secondary education, the incumbent should have 7 years of work experience in the related field, or Bachelor's in the related fields with 4 years of experience would be considered desirable
- Experience of active involvement in youth or community work
- Experience in managing administration and financial activity components of projects
- Experience in Gender related work and working with communities
- Experience in facilitating/running trainings, workshops
- Experience in planning, implementing and providing M&E support to community projects
- Demonstrated experience in advocating projects and programmes
- Tuvaluan and English
- Duty is station is Kaupule office in Nanumaga Island OR Nanumea Island, Tuvalu, with expected travel to Funafuti