Logistics & Interpretation Specialist
Job Overview: The Logistics & Interpretation Specialist provides in-person and/or remote interpretation in Dari and/or Pashto to facilitate, with accuracy, impartiality, and confidentiality, the language needs of Limited English Proficient (LEP) individuals and their service providers, primarily related to Immigration. The Specialist also plans and coordinates all logistics for pro se asylum clinics across IRC NorCal sites in Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, and Turlock.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide accurate, impartial, and confidential interpretation to LEP individuals and service providers in a variety of settings ranging in complexity, including during appointments at the IRC office, in group orientation and clinic settings, and in front of USCIS. Services may be rendered in-person, via telephone, videoconference, or other virtual means.
- Plan all aspects of the pro se asylum clinics in the four IRC locations, including but not limited to reserving appropriate space for the clinic, coordinating with the immigration team to ensure the clinics are well staffed, coordinating with partners, outreach to community members who are eligible to attend the clinic, ensuring the space is set up to follow required health and safety protocols, and more.
- Participate in trainings and assessments.
- May support special projects and initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Interpretation certification required.
- High school diploma required, associates or bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Formal education in linguistics or related field preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to plan events and handle logistics.
- Minimum 1 year professional interpretation experience required.
- Experience working with refugee and/or immigrant populations strongly preferred.
- Cultural sensitivity; ability to build trust with clients, colleagues, and partners.
- Proficient in English, both spoken and written.
- Proficient in Dari and Pashto, both spoken and written.
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office).
- Reliable transportation to appointment locations.
- A combination of standard office environment, remote work, and ‘field’ time within the service delivery area to perform the above outlined responsibilities.
- May require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity:
IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.