Landscape News Assistant
Job status: In-progress
Job category: Consultancy
Duty station: Home-based, Bonn
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Landscape News Assistant
The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) is a partnership initiative led by CIFOR through its GLF Team. The team is based in the new CIFOR office in Bonn, Germany, and the CIFOR headquarters in Indonesia. The GLF Team is responsible for delivery on all GLF activities, and for expanding the GLF partnership and community.
The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) is the world’s largest multi-stakeholder platform on integrated landscapes and aims to create a movement of one billion people around productive, prosperous, equitable and resilient landscapes. Founded by CIFOR, UN Environment and the World Bank, with 23 charter members among the world’s leading development organizations, and core funding provided by the German Government, the GLF operates from a Secretariat in Bonn and focuses on five main themes: restoration, finance, rights, food and livelihoods, and measuring progress.
Since 2013, over 180,000 stakeholders from more than 4,900 organizations and 185 countries have engaged with the GLF in person and online, with stakeholders from community and indigenous peoples’ organizations, finance, civil society, government, media and youth. We have reached over 600 million people online and through traditional media. The GLF is founded on four principles: connecting, sharing, learning and acting, and has produced global conferences in the following cities: Warsaw, Lima, London, Paris, Marrakech, Jakarta, Bonn, Washington DC, Nairobi, Katowice and Kyoto, as well as in Bonn, New York, Accra, Luxembourg and Madrid in 2019.
From building the investment case for sustainable landscapes, to developing a gold standard for indigenous peoples’ rights, to supporting the Decade on Ecosystem Restoration, the GLF has been at the cutting edge in hosting and facilitating all manner of discussions to accelerate positive action for people, for the environment, and for the achievement of global climate and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Together we will create a global force to contribute to achieving the SDGs and climate agenda by creating a positive vision of what we can do if we all work together.
BE A PART OF A GLOBAL MOVEMENT. BE A PART OF THE GLF.
Duties and responsibilities
Objectives of the assignment
- Support the Landscape News Editor in running the Landscape News website through writing, copy editing and external communications; and
- Support the GLF team in writing content as needs arise.
Summary of responsibilities
The ideal candidate should be an experienced writer and copy editor, and should be detail-oriented in copy editing and online visual presentation of news articles, proactive in boosting articles through SEO and link building, and eager to improve and strengthen his/her writing abilities and portfolio. Key characteristics for this position include positive energy, good time management, clear and confident communication skills, an interest in science journalism and communications, and a strong desire to write.
Tasks and responsibilities will include:
Tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Writing engaging Landscape News articles;
- Writing tweets and posts to support Landscape News articles on social media;
- Combining market research on other successful news sites’ social media strategies with creative and imaginative new uses of the platforms to grow the Landscape News and GLF audience;
- Supporting the development of the GLF Live platform of livestreamed interviews with experts by helping identify topics and speakers and writing/designing event pages;
- Staying current on climate change and environmental news worldwide and pitching unique stories to the Landscape News Editor;
- Assisting the Landscape News Editor on various tasks, including sourcing photos, liaising with writers and external organizations, fact checking and copy editing;
- Supporting the GLF team by writing content for the main GLF website and events pages (including corporate news pieces, event speaker bios, session summaries) as needs arise; and
- Helping with various other tasks as they arise.
Education, knowledge and experience
- At least three years of undergraduate degree completed (international development, natural science, communications, journalism or related fields)
- Have excellent English writing skills
- Have effective time management capabilities
- Have experience with social media, journalism, brand management and online engagement
- Experience with WordPress is a plus
- Have strong organizational and communication skills
- Be experienced and/or comfortable with remote work
Personal attributes and competencies
- Be creative and passionate about changing the world
- Have a fearless attitude and be open to learning
- Have a proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment and take the initiative
- Have a positive attitude at all times
Terms and conditions
- This is a full-time consultancy position.
- CIFOR’s employment conditions follow local labor laws and regulations. CIFOR will employ a suitable candidate regardless of nationality, provided that he/she complies with the local requirements for working at the posting location.
- CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience To apply, please visit our career site at: https://www.cifor.org/careers To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at: https://www.cifor.org CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 01 Jul-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.