Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) Manager
Super Typhoon Odette (International name: Rai) ripped through the Philippines on December 16, 2021, affecting and displacing families. Categorized as the strongest typhoon to hit the Philippines in 2021. The typhoon severely destroyed infrastructure in several towns in the Visayas, destroying bridges, flattening agricultural land and houses. According to United Nations report, 1.2 million people directly affected by the disaster. 09 regions affected and 488,000 people displaced and 31 deaths reported.
IRC is working with its local partners (Philippines Business for Social Progress (PBSP) and RAMON ABOITIZ FOUNDATION INC (RAFI) to provide assistance to the affected communities. IRC works in Cebu and Bhol, two most affected areas by the Typhoon Rai. We have reached over 10,000 HH with the immediate food and non-food assistance and planning to scale up our response in multipurpose cash and protection sectors.
Reporting to the Project Coordinator and technically supported by the Regional Measurement Action Coordinator, the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) or M&E Manager works in close collaboration with program, grants and support teams to optimize monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning capacities and opportunities of the IRC mission in Philippines] to ensure high-quality programming for the clients we serve and support the global ambitions of IRC Strategy 100, especially the Data Ambition, and the Country Strategic Action Plan.
To this end, the M&E/MEAL Manager is responsible to ensure that a monitoring, evaluation and accountability and data management system is in place, sufficiently resourced and successfully implemented from collection to visualization. And that MEAL data is contributing to improved learning and program quality. The M&E/MEAL Manager is responsible for ensuring that MEAL principles are integrated in every step of the project cycle, as per IRC’s corporate guidelines and contributes to the implementation of the Country Strategic Action Plan and Strategy 100.
In support of these goals, the manager provides vital technical assistance, capacity sharing, individual mentoring, supervision and training to M&E/MEAL staff at IRC and partners.
This position is contingent on the IRC securing funding from ECHO. (Proposal already submitted to ECHO)
• Develop and manage project M&E systems and ensure program quality.
• Design and coordinate project relates evaluation and studies, this include post distribution monitoring, project end line evaluation and contributes to regional and global studies in Philippines.
• In close coordination with Project Coordinator and Regional Measurement Action , Lead the development, implementation of the project’s M&E plan.
• Ensure partners ( PBSP and RAFI) have the capacity to collect and analyses project related data, based on the MEAL plan. Where capacity gap exists, ensure to build the capacity of the location partner.
• Qualitatively and quantitatively monitor progress toward achievement of results, outcomes and activities.
• Co lead the monthly review and reflection meeting with Project Coordinator and ensure project implementation and monitoring related challenges are documented and addressed immediately
• Develop project-wide mechanisms to measure and document progress on indicators and achievement of targets, lessons learned and best practices, and dissemination of results.
• Conduct supervisory visits to field sites – including those of sub-grantees – to observe, monitor, and provide guidance and support to ensure that quality data is collected and analyzed regularly and effectively.
• Contribute detailed and accurate technical deliverables and reports to fulfill donor reporting requirements.
• Ensure IRC’s safeguarding Policy and Guidelines and Research Standards are adhered to during project implementation
Key working relationships:
Position Reports to Project Coordinator. This position will not have any direct reporting.
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Project Coordinator Regional Measurement Action Coordinator, Client Responsiveness & Accountability (CRA) Technical Advisor, Grants Coordinator and Managers, Finance Coordinator, relevant Regional/HQ-based colleagues.
External: Partners, Governments, Clients.
· Degree from an accredited university in social science, international development, evaluation research, statistics, or a related discipline required; equivalent experience may be substituted for graduate degree.
· Minimum 3 years of experience in M&E humanitarian or development projects in crisis contexts.
· Experience developing performance monitoring plans and associated data collection-analysis-presentation systems. In addition: proven experience in implementing surveys/ assessments/ evaluations.
· Strong negotiation skills and the ability to develop relations with local organization, other stakeholders.
· Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
· Fluency in English
At IRC - we are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, respectful and safe work environment where all persons are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. In keeping with our core values of Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality, IRC strives to maintain a work environment built on mutual respect in which all individuals treat each other professionally, and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment.
We acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other human demographic.