Associate Director, Cryptocurrency Philanthropy
New York City | London
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
Its External Relations (ER) department was crafted in early 2020 and is comprised of three complementary functional areas: Private Fundraising, Communications and Advocacy – functions that work together to improve IRC’s ability to ‘punch above its weight’ in private income, advocacy, and brand awareness.
The International Philanthropy and Partnerships (IPP) team leads on the Organization’s engagement with corporations, foundations, international philanthropists globally, as well as IRC’s efforts in new funding streams (Faith-based; Donor-Advised Funds; Innovative Financing et al).
Reporting to the Director, Donor Advised Funds and joining the recently formed New Funding and Innovation team, the Associate Director, Cryptocurrency Philanthropy is a self-motivated, curious, innovative and creative person with experience building client relationships, identifying and developing opportunities, project management, and strong interpersonal skills.
The Associate Director, Cryptocurrency Philanthropy will build relationships of mutual value in the cryptocurrency space and will be responsible for generating >$1 million in unrestricted funds from those relationships. The ideal candidate has a deep knowledge of cryptocurrency and is passionate about the growing intersection and opportunity with philanthropy. The candidate will act as the resident expert on all things crypto, internally guiding our philanthropic strategy in this space. They are an authority in best-practice thinking and solutions towards conceiving, crafting and implementing partnerships between the IRC and a range of clients.
- Build healthy rapport and form relationships within the crypto philanthropy space, using those relationships to form strategic alliances and generate revenue (approximately $1 million in unrestricted funds) from cryptocurrency-based opportunities for the IRC;
- Develop a portfolio of cryptocurrency partners, leading on each partner strategy with the aim to optimize quality of service, income growth, and donor satisfaction;
- Work with the Director, Donor Advised Funds to establish funding goals for their portfolio of cryptocurrency partners with a focus on diversified and sustainable funding streams, increasing unrestricted funds, and growing influence;
- Establish and lead the overarching structure and strategy for cryptocurrency philanthropy for IRC including facilitating cryptocurrency donation acceptance across all donor segments
- Develop a global, multi-year strategy and plan to explore, test and scale our cryptocurrency philanthropy efforts including acceptance and conversion of proceeds from blockchain based sources
- Imagine and implement creative outreach, solicitations and management strategies for partners within their portfolio, leading on partnership dialogues, proposal submissions, and pitches;
- Become go-to person for all things crypto-related internally and use external networks to also generate opportunities for other teams within IRC;
- Observe and analyze the cryptocurrency philanthropy sector so that market opportunities may be capitalized on, ensuring that the IRC’s partnership proposition remains compelling and competitive;
- Maintain clear CRM records for their portfolio to ensure comprehensive tracking/reporting on IPP’s client universe
- Seven years of experience of front-line fundraising, or similar experience, in a fast-paced work environment;
- Knowledge of philanthropy planning processes, with an understanding of the particular issues affecting the field;
- Experience of working to, and meeting, revenue goals and performance indicators, as well as participating in financial projections, reporting, and scenario planning;
- CRM experience – Salesforce and/or Raisers Edge;
- Experience analyzing and interpreting financial data with the facility to understand budget models;
- Experience identifying and crafting processes crucial to supporting partnerships
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, including: speaking to and writing for donors; crafting partnership proposals and pitch materials;
- Proven ability to maintain positive, collaborative, productive relationships with staff at all levels;
- Good judgment in maintaining confidentiality of donor information;
- Ability to translate an organization’s strategy and objectives into operational delivery and, at times, adjust around short-term priorities;
- Understanding of the support processes required to deliver effective institutional funder relationships;
- Knowledge and interest in emerging concepts and practices in the field of philanthropy including innovative opportunities and cryptocurrency;
- Demonstrated understanding of Web3 technologies including blockchain, NFTs, smart contracts, the buying, selling and exchange of cryptocurrency;
- Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills, with an ability to devise creative solutions to sophisticated problems;
- Passion for the IRC’s mission and dedication to private sector partnerships within the cryptocurrency industry
Education: Bachelor’s Degree recommended
Language Skills: English; French, Arabic, Spanish (optional)
Certificates or Licenses: Driver’s license
Preferred experience & skills:
- 3+ years of experience working directly with cryptocurrency;
- High level understanding of cryptocurrency donation and acceptance mechanisms
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as, an overall ability to be clear and concise in all communications
- Strong organizational and time-management skills; proven track record to prioritize and deliver on time
- Strong analytic problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a dynamic, cross-functional distributed team structure
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite
- Proven ability to work successfully with internal and external partners at all levels
- Ability to handle and work through change in a proactive and positive manner.
- Standard office working environment;
- Some international and domestic travel as needed up to 30%;
- the ability and willingness to work evenings and weekend as needed;
- This role may require working remotely full or part time and part time remote employees may be required to share workspace.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.