AmeriCorps Early Literacy Tutor
Literacy First is hiring both English and Bilingual (Spanish) early literacy tutors for the 2022-2023 service term with a start date of September 1st, 2022. Learn more at https://www.literacyfirst.org/become-a-tutor/
Literacy First is an AmeriCorps tutoring program that focuses on early literacy in Austin, Texas. Literacy First tutors provide one-to-one tutoring to ensure all children are reading at or above grade level by third grade. We use an explicit, research-based curriculum to address critical reading skills. All training and mentorship will be provided by our supervisors and staff, who are literacy experts. Tutors serve Monday - Friday in an elementary school. We currently offer three different time commitments; 20, 30, and 36 hrs/week. Tutors attend a variety of literacy training and professional development activities, and service events in the community and on campus. Our supervisors are expert literacy coaches and provide ongoing support throughout the year.
Bilingual Tutors will be primarily instructing and teaching students to read in Spanish. Spanish-speaking students that qualify for our program are in a dual language (One-Way Spanish or Two-Way Spanish) classroom setting. Bilingual tutors will be set up for success with scripted lesson plans and ongoing weekly Spanish support. Bilingual applicants must have basic proficiency skills in speaking, reading, and writing Spanish.
- Pay: $1,200.00 - $2,144.00 per month
- Health insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional development assistance
- Employee assistance program
- Education award of up to $4,441.50 upon successful completion of service.
- Expert training in literacy intervention content and delivery (no experience necessary, all training provided!)
- One-on-one support from your supervisor weekly throughout the program.
- Optional professional development activities such as committee participation and community events.
- Access to an employee assistance program that includes free short-term counseling, financial/legal services, referrals to resources, etc.
- Networking with community partners and non-profits through regular volunteering opportunities. Professional development activities to prepare you for life after AmeriCorps.
- Opportunity to return to service for a second year as a Leader (mentor), and participate in our Leadership Academy (with pay increase!).
- Opportunity to return to service for a second year and participate in our alternative teacher certification partnership through Region 13.
Apply here: https://tinyurl.com/LiteracyFirstApp2022-23