Youth Casework Intern - Fall 2022
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 26 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK
The IRC’s Youth Programs work to support the integration and holistic well-being of school aged, recently arrived refugees and asylees. The Youth Casework Team enrolls students in IRC Youth Programs and into the school system, provides school aged students with individual case management support and works to address challenges identified by our clients and help them towards self-sufficiency. The overall goals of IRC's Youth Programs are to reinforce a sense of belonging and security within schools and surrounding communities, build students’ confidence in their English and academic abilities, and help student develop graduation and career plans tailored to their unique interests and skills.
- Enroll school-aged children into their local schools.
- Assist with school orientations for youth and parents, explaining the US educational system, school culture, roles and responsibilities, U.S. laws, safety, etc.
- Create new ways to engage and support school-aged students. Ability to tutor students and provide homework assistance.
- Provide ongoing support to students and families including but not limited to: assessing educational backgrounds of students, referring and linking youth/parents to services in the community, maintaining a client records database, conducting regularly scheduled home visits with students and families to address academic and integration issues and coordinating with relevant school staff on academic and social-emotional issues.
1. Intern will gain case management skills including: defining learning objectives, identifying and developing actions steps to address barriers to integration and self-sufficiency.
2. Intern will build confidence and skills speaking publicly and in a multicultural environment.
3. Intern will learn about the US refugee resettlement system and services and benefits available to refugees and asylees in the State of Maryland and across the US.