Refugee Casework Intern - Fall 2022
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 26 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Refugee Casework team is the first point of contact for refugee clients. Caseworkers provide 3-8 months of case management to refugees. The services include providing monthly cash assistance, ensuring that clients apply for public benefits such Medicaid, food stamps, social security and enroll in health insurance and ESL classes.
- Manage clients’ cases and case files for newly-arrived refugees and Afghan parolees.
- Guide clients through appointments and applications including but not limited to: medical and immunization appointments, ESL class and school enrollments, and applications for Social Security cards, State IDs and Medicaid.
- Call, email clients for support, provide resources and conduct remote check-ins.
- Intern will gain experience interacting with and assisting refugee clients.
- Intern will acquire detailed knowledge of programs and public benefits available for refugees and asylees during their resettlement period.
- Intern will learn reporting requirements for resettlement agencies and how to capture data to improve services.