Seed Systems Specialist
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: https://www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic and results-oriented Cereal Seed Systems Researcher (Associate Scientist or Scientist) to join its Kenya-based Cereal Seed Systems Development Team. The position will contribute to an innovative regional research portfolio focused on solutions to the persistent challenges of cereal systems in eastern Africa related to the low uptake of new and improved varieties. Research will address themes related to gender equality, seed preferences, seed access, and seed distribution for various crops, including wheat, maize, millet, and groundnut. The selected candidate will work as a member of CIMMYT’s Sustainable Agri-food Systems (SAS) program in close collaboration with all other relevant CIMMYT programs and units.
The position will be based in CIMMYT’s campus in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Provide critical inputs to the design of an ambitious and innovative research-for-development (R4D) agenda focused on addressing challenges for achieving faster varietal uptake in Eastern Africa through interventions in support of more equitable gender relations, informed decision making, and improved access.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of a broader social science research agenda related to seed marketing, market intelligence, seed business, and preferences for cereal seed and cereal-based foods in the region.
- Play a key role in positioning of CIMMYT as a thought leader in discussions related to social inclusion and seed systems development.
- Support the capacity development of CIMMYT’s partners in the region, including those in national agricultural research centers, in areas related to cereal seed systems development.
- Engage with local stakeholders on strategies, policies, and research needed to address bottlenecks in cereal systems in East Africa and beyond.
- Publish research findings in international peer-reviewed journals and contribute to dissemination of results to stakeholders via workshops and webinars.
- Engage with staff from CIMMYT, NARS, NGOs, and seed companies in the region to understand plant breeding, seed production, and seed distribution, as input for designing a stronger client orientation by social science in its seed systems agenda.
- Support regional efforts to mobilize resources to expand R4D agenda on seed systems and related areas of work.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- D. in a social science field (e.g. gender studies, rural sociology, applied economics).
- Track record of quality publications in recognized social science journals.
- Active interest and preferable experience in the seed sector development.
- At least three years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated ability to excel in complex multidisciplinary research or development projects.
- Good partnership building skills, including the ability to interact with funding agencies; deliver effectively; and moderate meetings with local partners.
- A high degree of personal organization and ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work with different nationalities and disciplines as a member of a diverse work team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Proactivity, Problem Solving and Decision-making, Negotiation and Conflict Resolution and Teamwork.
The position is for an initial fixed term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health, and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online for IRS22127_Seed Systems Specialist. Screening and follow-up of applications will begin on Friday, July 1st, 2022. Applications must include a CV, with contact details (telephone and email address) of 3 work-related references along with your confirmation that we can contact them and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at [email protected]
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.