Senior Project Assistant
Vacancy no.: DC/RMI/GS6/2022/09
Publication date: 03 June 2022
Application deadline (midnight local time): 09 July 2022
Job ID: 8556
Department: RO - Asia & the Pacific
Organization Unit: CO-Suva
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: 12 months with the possibility of extension
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria.
The ILO values diversity among its staff and welcomes applications from qualified female candidates. We also encourage applicants with disabilities. If you are unable to complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to [email protected].
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade.
The Joint SDG Fund supports countries accelerate their progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and deliver on their commitment to the 2030 Agenda to Leave No One Behind. The transformative nature of the 2030 Agenda hinges on all segments of society urgently coming together to launch sustainable and inclusive growth trajectories.
The Fund supports partnership for five countries in Micronesia between the ITU, ILO, FAO, UNESCO, UNICEF, UNODC, and UNOPS. ILO is a participating agency in the joint project which will carry out the implementation in the three ILO member states in Micronesia -- Republic of Marshall Islands, Palau, and Kiribati.
The project aims to: (1) promoting enabling policy, legislative and strategy framework that benefit communities and vulnerable groups, accelerate achieving the SDGs and promote digital transformation (including Internet development); (2) improving access to resilient broadband connectivity facilitated through pilots in at least five remote islands and villages, one each in the five countries, to accelerate their digital transformation to Smart Islands/digital villages with access to a range of digitally enabled services that meaningfully improve livelihoods; social services; the enjoyment of human rights; skills in harnessing the digitally enabled services; education and job opportunities, food availability and nutrition; digital finance and information; response to natural disasters; and maritime security.
Digital technology, as experienced worldwide during the COVID-19 pandemic, serve as a powerful tool to facilitate the much needed social and economic transformations towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Pacific Islands countries. An integrated approach embracing digital transformation across multiple sectors and customized to local needs and priorities can address multiple high priority challenges expressed by the citizens.
The Senior Project Assistant will report to the Employment Specialist in CO-SUVA. The Project Assistant will work in close collaboration with other ILO specialists and programme officers in CO-Suva.
Description of Duties
1. Review and analyse the countries’ specific development plans and priorities, socioeconomic data, reports, and other relevant information. Identify potential technical cooperation areas and provide written analysis on the findings.
2. Work in close collaboration with partners to design and revise project annual work plans as well as preparation of the budget proposal, considering different approaches and alternative methods, management, problem identification and problem resolution, especially for the parts of the Project supporting the institutional and capacity development of constituents, government agencies, line ministries, and social partners.
3. Review, verify and analyse work plans, progress and final reports and other data for clarity, consistency and completeness and monitor the progress of Project activities. Follow-up on delayed documents, clarify information, and answer questions about clearance and processing requirements to support successful completion of agreed activities.
4. Follow-up with relevant technical officers with counterparts in organizations and line ministries at national level, partner and executing agencies, government offices, constituents and in other organizations to expedite implementation and meet targets.
optional section (if needed)
(continuation of duties)
5. Assist in the programming and control of resources of the project, prepare budget estimates and expenditure forecasts by analysing and monitoring situation of resources as compared to planned activities and making recommendations for remedial action. Identify problems, propose solutions and actions.
6. Participate in the preparation and conduct of conferences, seminars, workshops, training sessions, and consultative meetings. Speak on behalf of the Project when attending these gatherings alone. Undertake missions to project sites independently or accompanying others.
7. Brief ILO specialists, project experts, associate experts and visiting officials from ILO and provide relevant information on project matters.
8. Lead in the preparation of briefs, background information, technical reports and periodic progress reports and statistical data on status of the overall activities of the Project.
9. Perform other duties as may be assigned by the co-Suva Director and Employment Specialist
Completion of secondary school education, supplemented by technical or university level courses in a field related to the work of the organization.
Six years of progressively responsible experience in programme management and implementation, including in reporting analysis and preparation.
Excellent knowledge of English and one or two working languages of the duty station.
- Knowledge of programme and budget and thorough understanding of wide range of administrative policies and procedures.
- Ability to work with word processing, spread sheet, web-browser, as well as other computer software packages required for work.
- Thorough knowledge of in-house procedures for the preparation of documents and administrative forms, and for the creation and maintenance of filing systems.
- Ability to prepare preliminary reports and to draft correspondence.
- Good communication skills, both orally and in writing and ability to communicate with people in a polite, courteous and cooperative manner.
- Ability to organize own work and to work independently as well as work in a team.
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet the deadline.
- Must demonstrate responsible behaviour and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non -discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.