Gender Analyst (NPSA8)
UNDP Mongolia is recruiting a Gender Analyst to help ensure adequate impact of gender mainstreaming throughout the country programme and consolidate an enabling environment for institutional effectiveness to deliver gender-responsive and sustainable results, as well as to assist the Country Office meet the expected benchmarks to receive the UNDP Gender Seal Certification.
The Gender Analyst will work closely with all relevant stakeholders within the UNDP system including the programme and project teams, in the identification, design, and implementation of critical gender interventions for UNDP in Mongolia, while maintaining a strong contribution to resource mobilization. Additionally, the position will also require extensive engagement, networking, and partnership building with international and national partners, including other UN agencies, government counterparts, civil society and non-governmental organizations, women's organizations and networks, bilateral and multilateral donors, and private sector actors.
The Gender Analyst is expected to provide advise and lead the coordination of the Gender Seal process, to provide strategic and technical support to programme and project teams on all interventions, particularly those that are focused on gender equality and women’s empowerment, lead and coordinate advocacy and partnership building efforts, support resource mobilization for gender mainstreaming, and to facilitate knowledge building, management, and sharing across all UNDP programmes and projects.
Advise and support the coordination of the Gender Seal process
- Builiding on the current Gender Equality Strategy (2021-2022) draft a Gender Strategy and Action Plan for UNDP Mongolia in line with the new CPD (2023-2027), taking into consideration UNDP corporate recommendations as well as comparative best practices.
- Advice and support the CO Senior Management to build strong institutional commitment and leadership to implement UNDP’s Gender Seal Certification criteria.
- Ensure that the gender focus within the country office is clearly articulated, communicated and supported by all spheres of operations and programming.
- Provide strategic advice to CO’s communication and advocacy activities with a view to achieving broader recognition of UNDP’s contribution to gender equality results in Mongolia by national stakeholders and development partners.
Provide strategic and technical support to programme/project teams
- Identify opportunities and lead in the conceptualization of strategic project interventions that respond to the needs and concerns of women and men and are in line with the UNDP’s Country Programme Strategy.
- Provide guidance to UNDP programming to ensure that a sound gender analysis informs programme/project design and management; identify strategic actions to be undertaken to improve the quality of implementation, support achievement of related results, and manage the effective application of the Gender Marker.
- Provide advice on appropriate gender sensitive indicators across projects, and support colleagues in the monitoring and reporting of results/outputs and objectives against agreed indicators, in close collaboration with M/E specialist.
- Monitor political, economic and social developments trends and issues affecting women’s rights in Mongolia, producing quarterly analytic reports and informing a strategic response to opportunities and challenges within the context of UNDP’s projects in Mongolia.
Lead and coordinate advocacy and partnership building efforts
- Ensure leading role of UNDP in for and meetings related to gender equality.
- Participate in activities to highlight key gender equality and women’s human rights issues, and advocate for integration of gender equality issues into the development agenda.
- Maintain relationships with UNDP’s partners including other UN agencies, especially UNFPA, donors, government agencies, and NGOs, on matters related to the promotion of national commitments to gender equality with a view of ensuring strategic partnerships and strengthening collaboration.
- Develop a gender communications strategy for UNDP Mongolia as part of the overall Gender Strategy and Action Plan, in order to build awareness of gender equality issues in Mongolia and the contribution of UNDP towards resolving these.
Support resource mobilization for gender mainstreaming
- Develop a Resource Mobilization Plan for gender mainstreaming/ gender empowerment which is in-line with the CO Gender Strategy and Action Plan and CPD.
- Identify and follow-up on strategic opportunities for resource mobilization for implementation of UNDP’s Mongolia’s Gender Strategy and across all programmatic interventions to advance women’s role in Mongolia.
Facilitate knowledge building, management, and sharing
- Organization and conduct of trainings on gender advancement, gender equality, women’s empowerment, women’s issues, and social development thematic areas related to UNDP’s Gender Strategic Plan in the Country Office so UNDP personnel are equipped to mainstream and implement gender equality objectives/goals in their respective areas of work (both programme and operations).
- Collate and document lessons learned and recommendations for policy dialogue, public advocacy and future programming, and organize dissemination of learning within the CO and with partners.
- Monitor and report on the implementation of the CO Gender Equality Strategy and action plan.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Monitor and document CO’s contribution to gender equality results for reporting and further communication purposes.
- Achieve Results: Level 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: Level 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: Level 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: Level 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: Level 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: Level 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Level 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Business direction and strategy:
- System Thinking: Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
- Knowledge Generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
- Knowledge Facilitation: Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share, particularly externally
- Partnerships Management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Working with Evidence and Data: Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions and supporting decision-making
2030 Agenda: People:
Gender: Gender and Institutional Development; Gender Corporate Reporting; Gender Issues & Analysis; Gender Mainstreaming; Women's Economic Empowerment.
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Gender or Women’s Studies or other relevant field with a focus on Gender; or
- Bachelor’s degree in the relevant field with additional 2 years of relevant experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master’s degree
- A minimum 2 years (with bachelor’s degree) of progressively responsible professional experience addressing the promotion of gender equality and women’s empowerment in Mongolia
- Experience working with diverse range of partners, including UN organizations, international and domestic NGOs, government and private sector institutions is desired
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Zero tolerance for any harassment, i.e. any offensive behaviour, words and actions, including sexual and psychological harassment, bullying, etc.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Mongolian, both spoken and written.