Business Development Officer - IPSA 11 - Office-based
Instructions to Applicants: Click on the "Apply now" button. Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. Please ensure that CV or P11 and the Cover letter are combined in one file.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
UNDP is an operational backbone to the UN system: providing payroll, financial transactions, common premises, treasury investment, procurement, legal services to UN agencies. UNDP provides IT support for 13 UN entities with 40,000 United Nations and external users of the UNDP’s Atlas ERP system, as well as information and communication technology (ICT) and application solutions for the United Nations field presence. To enable the digital transformation of the organization, the Information and Technology Management (ITM) is tasked with developing and operating the enabling corporate technology platforms and providing related services that power the digital transformation including: (1) advice, administration and acceleration services to promote delivery of maximum business value of each platform; (2) a global service desk operation; (3) and outreach services to promote knowledge sharing and effective, agile planning and governance of technology development and utilization.
The mission of ITM is to develop Smart Facilities which guarantees efficient, innovative and sustainable management of technologies for UN facilities and other partners, in consistency with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Among other technologies, we are committed to offer a framework of best practices, and to deliver resilient, highly available and sustainable green energy solutions and services that enable innovation to flourish throughout the organization. The business development officer will be responsible to improve and grow UNDP Information Technology Management/Smart Infrastructure Services business, by establishing and developing relationships with customers, suppliers and other partners. Working at the Business Development Group, the cornerstone of successful revenue growth and resource mobilization, the resource will play a key role in the strategic development of ITM Smert Infrastructure services. The resource is expected to manage, market, and sale a number of services and products developed by the team as follows: green energy, eMobility, mini-grid, solar panels, energy storage, Vehicle-Grid-Integration, Smart Building, Internet of Things (IoT), smart sensors, cloud infrastructure, connectivity, digital and collaboration solutions.The business development officer will report to the Chief of Smart Infrastructure Services and will identify new business opportunities in order to generate revenue, improve profitability and help the business grow.The work can involve careful strategic planning and positioning of the unit in the UN system, NGO and human development arena. This opportunity is aligned with the Strategic Plan 2022–2025 | UNDP and aims at supporting the SDGs.
The Business development officer will report to the Chief of Smart Infrastructure Services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
- Lead of team of young professionals
- Think and work strategically - seeing the bigger picture and setting aims and objectives to develop and improve the business
- Establish the foundation of cooperation, through innovative and proven strategies
- Develop staff into valuable business collaborators and train members of your team
- Develop a business development strategy focused on sustainable growth
- Work out a strategy focused growth and on customer satisfaction
- Provide trustworthy feedback and after-sales support
- Regular surveying of UN and NGO market to assess demand for specific products and services. Keep abreast of trends and changes in the business world and identify new markets and customer needs
- Prepare service agreement ensuring adherence to UN rules and guidelines
- Seek ways of improving the way the business operates
- Perform accurate costing and consistent pricing for all programs and products/services, develop pricing models and set KPI targets
- Carry out sales forecasts and analysis and present findings to senior management/the board of directors
- Nurture and develop long-term business partnership with new and existing customers for the ITM/SIS by building and strengthening business and client partnerships
- Arrange business development meetings with prospective clients, identify the needs of clients and respond effectively with a tailored business plan or solution
- Develop mutually beneficial proposals, negotiate contract terms and pricing with clients in line with internal guidelines
- Explore opportunities of collaboration with universities, ITM internship, course accreditations, research etc.
- Promote the company’s products/services addressing or predicting clients’ objectives
- Have a good understanding of the businesses' products and/or services and provide specialist advice to customers
- Research and identify new business opportunities - including new markets, growth areas, trends, products and services - or new ways of reaching existing markets
- Support the procurement process of the projects under the 2022 Moonshot E-Mobility funding initiative
- Develop a sale package of products provided
- Assisting with the tendering process
- Develop and disseminate marketing strategy and communication materials on social media channels and UNDP websites under the guidance of ITM Communications Team
- Write promotional articles for SIS projects and knowledge-based articles
- Develop a promotional strategy and activities
- Develop opportunities in target markets with support of marketing
- Organize inauguration and groundbreaking ceremonies of Smart Facilities projects
- Attend events and networking, taking stands at exhibitions and conferences, and responding to incoming leads. You will also more than likely be expected to identify partner opportunities to cross and up sell services
- Develop new opportunities for local capacity building and training programs. These can include executive training/coaching programs, as well as other non-credit courses or programs.
LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
Adapt with Agility:
LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
Act with Determination:
LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
Engage and Partner:
LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
People Management (Insert below standard sentence if the position has direct reports.)
UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies (insert up to 7 competencies)
Required Skills and Experience
Min. years of relevant Work experience
Required skills and competencies
Desired additional skills and competencies
Required Language(s) (at working level)