About the job
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Safety Officer.
The purpose of the role is to provide administrative assistance and technical support and ensure that programs and projects activities are implemented in a secure, safe and effective manner.
The role is based in Tunisia country office supporting and/or providing technical guidance to country operations (Algeria and Zarzis area offices). The aim of the position is to ensure compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country and area offices. The Safety Officer contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Communication & information
- Support and facilitate the communication and coordination with relevant stakeholders on all matters relating to the safety of DRC staff within the geographical area of responsibility
- Collect, verify, analyze and report information that affects, or may affect, DRC operations
- Prepare and submit Safety Incident Reports (SIR)
- Monitor staff movements, report on movement irregularities and initiate emergency response if needed
- Ensure that DRC drivers follow Movement SOP and comply with DRC standards
- Disseminate safety alerts to staff
- Brief visitors and new staff members on safety procedures
- Work directly with Safety FP
Safety Risk Management
- Contribute to Safety Risk Assessments (SRAs)
- Ensure that appropriate access controls are in place for all DRC facilities
- Contribute the procurement and issue of safety and protective equipment
- Conduct regular site assessments and advise on mitigation measures
- Visit the countries to conduct safety audits, provide effective, realistic safety support in Tunisia and Algeria
- Maintain a network of contacts and represent DRC at safety meetings
- Any other duties related to the nature of the job as directed by the supervisor
To be successful in this role we expect you to have ar least 2 years of relevant experience in security operations and management. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Stable, moral and robust character and a good team player
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proven commitment to accountability practices
- High personal and professional integrity
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Training in safety, fire and evacuation procedures
- Training in safety and disaster management
- Experience in negotiating access for humanitarian or other agencies
- Relevant university degree (e.g. political science, international development, economics) or equivalent professional qualification
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 6 months renewable
Designation of Duty Station: Family Duty Station
Start date: 1st of August 2022
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 30th of June 2022.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.